1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snow Piles

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Bcarlsno, Feb 13, 2009.

1. Bcarlsno

Bcarlsno Junior Member

Wondering if anyone has tried or thought about using a propane torch to melt down smaller snow piles that have been iced over. I have a customer that I started in January that has a pile on the edge of her lawn. Using a loader to pick it up and load it would be too impractical for me right now. Something I will be doing next season. We've had 3 inches since the january 10. and the piles have hardly gone down. Its currently 20 feet long by 6 feet wide solid ice. I would like to get it down as to help prevent snow mold on the lawn.
  2. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

tymusicNO I cant see that as a practical and economic way to get rid snowpiles.:dizzy: It would be cheaper to buy her a calender, xysport Let her know that
    April and May aint to faraway!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:nod:
  3. Neige

Neige Sponsor

I have never ever heard of snow mold. It has been my experiance that piles of snow, do no damage to grass. If your lawn is concave and water says, and freezes. Then you will have winter damage, but snow piles that freeze up no problem. :drinkup:
  4. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

You have never hear of snow mold Neige? I am so disapointed in you :p

We do get a mold/fungus in the grass in the spring but i am not sure if has anything to do with snow

I think you would do more damage to the grass trying to "burn" the snow than what the snow is going to do to it

If you want when the snow softens back up in the spring you could shovel/spread it around so it melts faster

But really what do i know i pour concrete:D
  5. flakesmeangreen

flakesmeangreen Senior Member

As an example, during a roof repair last month I had to do last month it took me almost an hour and a half to melt about an inch and a half of ice that was 15-20 square feet. Using these numbers, a few assumptions and some simple math I estimate it will take you approximately 43.125, 8 hours days. That's assuming all weather conditions remain stable. :D

I agree that the calendar would be cheaper! :drinkup:
  6. Craaaig

Craaaig Senior Member

that doesn't sound cost effective JMO maybe if you had a full on flamethrower
  7. leon

leon Senior Member

snow go-sorry couldn't resist

An easy sure fire-forgive the pun way would be to use a salamader-no not the reptile silly!, unless it uses a lot of hot sauce from New Iberia, La.

Cut both ends out of a steel barrel and park the slamander at one end and blow the heated air through it at the pile; 110,000 btu goes a long way. and it will melt it to bare pavement. my pavement is always bare when I use a salamander to heat up my vehicles.

The gas torches used on roofing jobs work well too but its case of opportunity cost and where is the water going to go and hope it does not turn to ice.

The salamader will work until it runs out of fuel and create a lot of electrical interference and can kick out the circuit breaker unless it is powered by a stand alone generator. been there-I do this myself to warm up vehicles, melt ice under them, and reduce engine wear etc.

The commercial snow melting machines are always near a storm drain to carry away the melt water and get rid of it

Using very heavy black plastic as a heat sink will work during the daylight hours somewhat.
  8. dumb yankee

dumb yankee Junior Member

I have never known "snow mold" to damage a lawn, dont worry about it. As far as the piles of ice - snow, the torch idea, well I can think of better ways to spend my time. Try renting a tractor, or something along that idea. From my experience, mother nature has cornered the market on melting snow, we can push it, shovel it and throw it, forget melting it, not very cost effective.
  9. glfredrick

glfredrick Member

10. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Spraying it with warm water will get rid of it. Even cool water will melt it.
    It is gonna be costly whatever you do besides letting the sun melt it.
  11. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Lol, this is funny. The mold is likely (well, guaranteed) caused by excess water standing, prolly b/c the ground is still a bit froze when it all melts, or maybe it's just a low area in general. The proposed idea is to melt the ice/snow right where it sits. WHAT THE HE!! IS THE DIFFERENCE?!?!?!?

Ever consider MOVING the piles????