1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snow Pile Liability

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by cold_and_tired, Feb 16, 2011.

1. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

We had a long storm last week and I created some fairly large piles out of it. Specifically, one of my HOA's has a pile that is about 600 cubic yards. The height of the pile is between eight and twelve feet.

I drove past it the other day and noticed that some of the neighborhood kids were playing on it and even built a little cave in it.

You would think that the parents would be responsible for any injuries their child may sustain while playing on the pile but we all know how sue happy people are nowadays. Do I have any liabilities tied to that pile or would it all fall on the HOA?

My insurance agent says that there is always a possibility for me to get sued if someone gets hurt but I am thinking that the snow belongs to the HOA therefore it is their responsibility.

I'm definitely adding a clause to my contract about piles. I guess it's something I haven't given much thought to until now.

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

There's a lawyer saying, sue everyone and let the courts figure out who's fault it is.

3. 94chevy2500

94chevy2500 Senior Member

real good question there will be a clause for that in my contracts in the upcoming years thanks

4. goel

goel PlowSite.com Addict

I had the police write up a report for kids sliding off piles close to roads.

If was another contractor at the next property that had created the pile, the police were just off on the address because it was a shared entrance.

5. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

I'm not say everyone just some are sue happy and looking for a payout. It only takes one, good point to address.

6. goel

goel PlowSite.com Addict

It might be the HOA's snow, but who placed it exactly where it is.

If something were to happen, I assume a shared liability with the best lawyers winning, and your insurance jacking up.

Send them a written quote for relocation/removal. They deny, your liability is taken away, or at least severly reduced.

7. jklawn&Plow

jklawn&Plow Senior Member

Add the clause but you may need to put up some caution tape also (you just can't cover everything)

8. cold_and_tired

Written estimate for moving the pile is being sent out tomorrow. Caution tape and some kind of "no trespassing" sign go up as well.

9. goel

goel PlowSite.com Addict

Put in a time responce required due to the nature of the potential liability - just use some nicer wording that does not sound like it is such a liability.

And good, get the letter out asap - hand deliver if you can and document, CYA is important.

10. woodchuck2

woodchuck2 Senior Member

Adding a clause to your contract is a good thought but i would not tape of or put any kind of a sign out to warn of danger. In this kind of scenario you are better off playing stupid. Putting tape or signs out just shows that you know that it is a danger and if something were to happen then you can be held negligent for not taking care of the danger properly.

11. peterng

peterng Senior Member

2 sides 2 it, realism and reality (all bullchit but true). on one side if you had no choice but to create that pile, then it is reasonable for you to have done so. Anyone would have had to of created it. standard practice. on the other hand, it could be argued that you created a hazzard.

generally things don't go full term with law suits. settlements more often than not. that way everyone agrees to share blame just to end it before the unknown and messy path to the verdict.
    you're probably alright but that would make me think to. especially if there could be kids in the fort during a plow event, it has happened. it would be interesting to get your lawyer to look into some case law related to those events and then decide how to proceed.
    good luck,
    Pete

12. goel

goel PlowSite.com Addict

Woodchuck2 is right. It is like trying to keep ants away from spilled sugar.

Don't draw the attention.

13. cold_and_tired

I just got off the phone with a friend of mine and he said the exact same thing. I'm going to call my insurance company again tomorrow as well as my lawyer.

Maybe I'm making a big deal out of nothing but better safe than sorry. A few days from now and I won't have anything to worry about. It's been almost 70 degrees for the past two days.

14. jklawn&Plow

I was facitious when I recommended the caution tape. I guess it didn't come through on the post.

15. Greenstar lawn

Greenstar lawn Senior Member

Very interesting topic. I to noticed the kids making forts and such out of the piles in my HOA. I even had one lady tell me to make a pile in front of her house so the kids can play on it. I never really thought about it but now i will be putting it in my contract. Also when they make there igloos in one of the piles i always get worried when i am in there plowing that the kids could be in one of the piles as i stack more snow on it.

16. JTVLandscaping

JTVLandscaping Senior Member

I have a clause about not being liable for damaging things hidden by snow...never thought if that included kids. I don't like kids anyway.

17. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

you must of hated yourself when you were little.

18. jklawn&Plow

sounds like more sarcasm

19. JTVLandscaping

JTVLandscaping Senior Member

Quite the opposite actually, I've never loved anyone more than I love myself...Thumbs Up

20. forbidden

forbidden Senior Member

^^^^ he is off loving himself in the bathroom right now.

You left that door wide open, I had to comment.

How many of you think to check the pile for kids or snow caves / tunnels before you start to remove a pile?