1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snow pile is growing..

Discussion in 'Storm Pictures' started by Oshkosh, Feb 1, 2009.

1. Oshkosh

Oshkosh PlowSite.com Addict

I do mostly highway plowing so I dont have huge piles in one spot but here are a couple of photos in my yard.
    The first would be early Dec and the second late Jan.

MHD 12-28-08 021.jpg

NHDOT 1-19-09.jpg
  2. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

EaTmYtAiLpIpEs 2000 Club Member

nice backhoe. is that a 4x4?
  3. Oshkosh

Not 4x4

It is a 92 580SuperK 2wd. I found it for a neighbor of mine this fall and he got a very good deal on it.
    We where looking for a 4x4 but for the $6,000 difference in price he figured a set of chains would do anything he needed to do.
  4. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

EaTmYtAiLpIpEs 2000 Club Member

ya I was gonna get a 4/wd backhoe/loader but with the weight of the backhoe on the backhoe it is very good ballast. especially on mine. that superk is nice.
  5. Oshkosh

He wanted a heated cab.lol

Well all he told me was he was getting ready to retire and he wanted a heated cab.The days of being cold where behind him.
    Think about all the years the old timers ran around with 2wd backhoes(Mostly J.D 310,410's) and the jobs got done.Even Keyspan/Boston Gas uses 2wd's still in the majority of their fleet.
    I have operated both 2wd and 4wd and the job got done with both...We had a 4x4 at the town and it was beat up bad.Every pin and bushing was junk,the trans pops out of 4th gear going down the road,the thing is just hammered at 4,000hours.
    All depends on how they where cared for.

Jackson DPW 002.jpg
  6. Turbodiesel

Turbodiesel Senior Member

Place a 55 gal. drum with a good fire goin into it , it wont last long .:rolleyes:
  7. Oshkosh

The biggest issue

The biggest issue was the road agent,kind of scared of his own shadow.Talked a good story but when it came down to it the rusults are the results...He was/is affraid to let the selectman know how bad the equipment has gotten and in turn they cannot budget to repair or replace.
  8. theonlybull

theonlybull Senior Member

we've got an old '70 580 case CK, 2wd, with a set of chains off a highway's grader.. that thing will push mountains, but it's a pain with the bucket a little narrower then the back wheels,

from what i've seen the heavier front, and drive on the 4wd hoes helps alot with steering when plowing. with the 2wd it's pretty much all brakes