1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snow Pile Haul Away

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by jeffwillardson, Jan 1, 2015.

1. jeffwillardson

jeffwillardson Junior Member

Hey guys. So I have a few contracts that I have a 72 hour window to haul away the piles of snow we have pushed during a snow storm. These piles are massive after a storm. An average six inch storm takes about 30-40 truck loads to haul off. After trucking costs, Loader costs, dump fees. Each load cost me about $150. These costs can obviously add up quickly.

Hauling away snow off the property has always just been a necessary thing for me. As my clients don't want any snow on the their properties.

My question is. Is there a way or a method or an invention the can melt these piles of snow down quickly? hours or days? A commercial grade heat blanket? A Chemical?

I am tired of these costs to haul away and desperate to find a different way.

2. Sprag-O

Sprag-O Senior Member

3. ry_rock

ry_rock Senior Member

4. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Do they have a lawn IF so get a blower and blow the piles

You have your own trucks and loaders or you hiring it done

5. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

40 truck loads at $150 each load...Ouch

6. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

A melter... But they are not cheap.

7. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

Why not just put the cost into the contract? This question just doesn't make sense to me. Work shouldn't be expected to be done for free. If you're paying for the removal costs out of your own end, I don't see how you couldn't be losing your ass on these contracts.

8. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

If they don't want any snow piles on their properties then that's a extra service that they should pay for.

9. Flawless440

Flawless440 PlowSite.com Addict

Sub in a guy with a Melter

10. Flawless440

Flawless440 PlowSite.com Addict

Rent a dump truck. Find a close spot to dump snow

11. dcamp824

dcamp824 Member

You seem to know your cost, so why are they not being charged for it.??

12. Brad3403

Brad3403 Senior Member
    from Alberta

I have heard that the cost to run a "snowmelter" is about the same as the cost to truck it away. Can someone "chime in" that has experience using one??

13. jeffwillardson

I obviously have this cost built into my contract. But I do not charge per load. It is a fixed cost contract. So it is in my best interest to find a more cost effective alternative.

14. jeffwillardson

I was excited to see the SNOWMELTER option posted and immediately started to look into it as an option. Unfortunatley there is just no cost savings with this option. At a price tag of $250,000 it is extremely expensive. The price tag could be looked over however if I could recoup my cost over a period of time. The SNOWMELTER only melts 18 tons of snow an hour which is equal to one truck load of snow. The SNOWMELTER however uses 50 gallons of gas an hour. That is $150-$200 per hour in just gas. Add my loader hourly rate on that. I am looking at $225 an hour to use that melter. Just not feasible.

15. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

wow, my boss would love 150 per load!...unless it is aking 2 hrs for a turn around

have you asked about leasing a melter to try it out?

16. jeffwillardson

My trucking costs are $95 an hour. My dump fee is $25 per load. Dump site is 20 minute trip one way. Unload. 20 minutes back. Plus my loader hourly rate and gas to run my equipment.

I will look into a lease option. I have not asked about it yet. Good idea though

17. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Time to rethink your contract, anything with an unknown should be priced separate

18. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

Your cost per load is what I was charging to sub that job out per hour, plus, I was only paying half that per hour to the sub. I didn't think $75. an hour in my pocket to make a 5 minute phone call was too bad... You need to figure out a way to get that included in your future contracts with them, or dont contract with them.

19. all ferris

all ferris Senior Member

How big are the trucks that are being used?

20. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

It's easy to say add it to the contract but there's a lot of places that want everything included and if you don't want to provide an all inclusive price someone else will. I'd look into the blower idea if there if there's grassy area's or anywhere you can get rid of snow onsite. Also when hauling off site you will have 1/3 few loads when truck are loaded with a blower.