1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snow Pile Calculation

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by BigCat65, Jan 31, 2013.

1. BigCat65

BigCat65 Junior Member

I am going to be bidding snow removal at a town home complex for next season. The complex is lined with stone walls on each side of the road, so you really can't plow the road conventionally. There is only one area where snow can be pushed and stacked. I am wondering if there is a way to calculate how much snow I can fit in that area (pushed & stacked). My plan would be to use a skid with an 8ft Kage to push the whole road into that area and then back drag all the driveways into the road and push that snow into the same area. Is there a way to calculate what size snow event I could fit into that one area before I would need to haul it out? Any insight would be great!

2. JimMarshall

JimMarshall Senior Member
    from NW PA

I would think that the type of snow would be enough of a variable to make it almost impossible to calculate.

3. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

well i would bid on the specs they want. and just leave it with a price to truck out snow and dump. but unless this is a brand new complex i would just plain straight out ask them how it has run in past snow events to when they had to truck stuff out because to put it simply snow could be considered like dirt you dig a hole you always end up with more dirt to to the fluff factor and i would figure it like that .

4. WilliamOak

WilliamOak PlowSite.com Addict

You can easily get rough #s off ft2 of total areas that need to be relocated there. Then figure how much yardage the stacking area will hold with the LxWxheight whatever machine you have there can stack. Should give you close enough of an idea per 2" or so.. Simple math

5. BigCat65

BigCat65 Junior Member

William,
    That was an idea i had to at least get some type of rough idea so i will certainly try that out.
    The complex is relatively new, this is the second season of snow removal there and after the mild winter last year and this year so far they don't know how much snow that area could potentially hold.
    Thanks for the insight, much appreciaited.

6. G.Landscape

G.Landscape Senior Member
    from Ontario

I can't say I have ever had to do the calculation but as others had mentioned it would be tough to calculate. You would have to apply a compression factor, but 2" of powder will compact a lot more then 2" of wet snow.

I am curious to hear other answers as well.

7. WilliamOak

WilliamOak PlowSite.com Addict

I bet you could damn near double your figures on the yardage of the storage area for a "compression" factor as even a wet snow will compact and settle some between storms. I'm sure someone will chime in eventually saying this and not sure if the size of this place justifies the purchase but I have seen what wonders a tractor/inverted blower or even a blower on a skid can do for tricky sites like that, unless its a complete concrete jungle...

8. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Snowblower.

9. SDLandscapes VT

SDLandscapes VT Senior Member
    from Vermont

if you load your truck with the snowblower you greatly reduce the fluff factor and get more yardage per load....more expensive if you arent setup and with the winters that we have been having just going with something that can be used all season is probably best.

If possible look into an inverted blower for the drives

10. SDLandscapes VT

from Vermont

In my experience from the piles we have hauled recently a snow pile seems to have more "volume" than a comparative dirt pile

11. yardguy28

yardguy28 Senior Member

if your going to go the snow blower route, one that's large enough to fill dump trucks. why not skip the dump trucks all together and shoot the snow over the wall your talking about?

12. potskie

potskie Senior Member
    from Ontario

If you can do this and do it for a fair price plus do it well your first year your customer will almost never leave. To afraid of paying for trucking again. I know a guy around who has built quite the customer list on this.

13. Spool it up

Spool it up Senior Member

loader with dump , preferably a 10 wheeler or tri-axle. Definitely a time / fuel jobber so no one gets hurt guestimating

14. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Post up a pix of this place.

15. SDLandscapes VT

from Vermont

indeed pictures and aerials would be great

16. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

It just seams this is a tight place with hardly no storage space i think the safest way to to figure is time ,trucking and dump site fee if any. and just put it into your bid. then depending on how clean the want it no piles of snow at all word it as such . but i'm sure the management co or the condo asociation has what they want down on paper for you to bid to so they can compare apple to apples.There is a place in my town that has about 12 condo in a very tight area they can push snow and pile but it all has to be trucked out after every storm. they have it writen right into the contract.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2013
  17. Spool it up

Spool it up Senior Member

theres an idea :laughing:

T&M . No brainer . Smart business man

18. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

:nod::nod: no mater how you slice it and dice it snow will have to be trucked off site at least the way i'm understaning it