1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snow packing onto bade…

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by plow/truck, Dec 28, 2007.

1. plow/truck

plow/truck Member

The search function not working, this has probably been asked before.
    I’m wondering what you are doing to keep snow from packing onto the blade? Mine will pack so thick it will hardly lift up.
    I’m looking at a plastic liner that Western sells for my plow. Do they work good?
    I guess I should mention the roads we do are all gravel, and it has worn all the paint off the blade. My concern with the plastic is it will get scared up and snow will stick to it?
    What should I do?

snowplow 001-1.JPG
  2. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

fluid film...
  3. plow/truck

plow/truck Member

Are you talking about a spray oil?
  4. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

yes it comes in a spray can you can get it at any john deere dealership. and you can get a free sample if you pm Dano50 on here.
  5. plow/truck

plow/truck Member

Thanks for the tip! How often do you need to apply this? Once a day?
  6. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

If you sanded your blade down and painted it, the snow wouldn't stick near as bad. I'm a big user of FF but have not seen too much of a benefit of using it to stop snow from sticking. Maybe are snow is less sticky hear, hopefully it works for you though.
  7. apik1

apik1 Senior Member

The plastic liner is a better bet than fluid film. The liner is probley about $40 on ebay or a online snow plow part store, where fluid film is about $ 8 - 10 a can. And you have to spray it every time.

There is on on ebay now item number 260196664418 Or northerntool.com Item# 104081 for $ 29.99

Just my thoughts
  8. Brandon

Brandon Member

Fluid film is good stuff, but won't keep the snow of your blade...
  9. NJ Plowman

NJ Plowman Senior Member

Paint the blade with Rustoleum...one quart will do. About $8 in Home Depot and you should get a year or two out of it! payup
  10. plow/truck

plow/truck Member

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll start with the paint and see how long it lasts. :drinkup:
  11. mike psd

mike psd PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

fluid flim can also be purchased at local fleet pride if have one near you
  12. plow/truck

plow/truck Member

I'm assuming it's the brush on stuff. Is this correct?
  13. Dstosh

Dstosh Senior Member

Fleet pride is pretty sweet. I went to mine today, looking for some parts to rebuild a front drive shaft. No where had the right parts, they said they could go through the whole thing for 50 bucks in labor plus parts. SWEET. Definitly not my last experience there.
  14. Kennedy81

Kennedy81 Senior Member

How often do you get snow in New Mexico? Sorta funny seeing a plow truck surrounded by mosquite trees
  15. apik1

apik1 Senior Member

I had my blade sand blasted and I painted it with rustoleum and the snow sticks to it like glue. Paint it and put the shield on it.
  16. topdj

topdj Senior Member

Interlux VC-17m I always wondered how this would work on a plow
    it has Teflon in it. They have it in RED
  17. Dondestro

Dondestro Junior Member
    from CT

I painted mine with rustoleum then gloss rustoleum clear coat and it worked great
  18. bharry20

bharry20 Senior Member

this is my shield after three seasons. very rarely does any snow stick, if it does after on good slam down it is off.

truck 009.jpg

truck 010.jpg