1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snow melting machines

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Marek, Apr 10, 2016.

1. Marek

Marek Senior Member

We are considering the purchase of a snow melting machine such as the snow dragon. We have a couple jobs that require us to haul snow out which is time consuming for both loaders and trucks. Anyone here with any experience with these and ballpark billabe hourly rates ?

2. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

You can't bill high enough, fuel burn rates are stupid. You would a fool to bid it now if fuel doubles again....

Also check locals codes for disposing of hazardous waste in sewer systems

3. salopez

salopez Senior Member

according to Baltimore city, and MoCo...400 and hour in fuel. but that is for the big ones.

4. xgiovannix12

xgiovannix12 PlowSite.com Addict

your gonna need pretty good winters to pay for that bad boy

5. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

Unless you can get state contract doesnt seem cost effective. Find locations around your site's to dump. We used to dump at a farmer's ranch when I worked at crofton

6. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Check with Paul VZ before buying a SnowDragon.

7. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

Look at the comments from the peanut gallery.

OP, there's 2 people that have posted in this thread to take seriously. Olddog, because he's involved with Arctic and they actually own a melter, and Mark O, because he calls everything exactly like it is with no ********. I believe I remember seeing someone else from Quebec that bought a melter, JohnnyRoyale I think was the user name? There's only been a few people that I've ever seen post that they've owned or used one. And due to the dollar amount of the investment, I highly doubt you'd get them to share much information past fuel consumption rates if you'd even get that.

From the videos I've seen on YouTube, I would be EXTREMELY suspicious of the supposed rates of melting of a SnowDragon. Watch the videos, look at the size of the buckets they're loading with, and observe the frequency of buckets being dumped into the melter. That's just an inexperienced person's view of them, after all I'm not John Allin the inventor of snow(dragon). Trecan's rates seem to be more reasonable.

Pat isn't Arctic's melter a Trecan?

8. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

I'm 45 minutes south of him. We dont have near the same snow fall as artic or anyone in Canada.

9. zlssefi

zlssefi Senior Member

i saw about 2 buckets per minute. and MAYBE 1.5 yards per bucket. My l180 volvo could dump a bucket and stop for lunch after each bucket. For the winters we have been getting i think a couple triaxles at 90 per hour rented is the way to go.

10. ryansplowing

ryansplowing Junior Member

We own a snow dragon 1800 for the last two seasons now. From our experience we melt on average 100-120 yards per hour. The applications for the melter are slim but if the application is more cost effective our clients have seen significant savings. However the melter has only been a fit for a handful of our clients.

11. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

12. ServiceOnSite

ServiceOnSite Senior Member

300 per hour, client pays fuel bill. You bring it full of fuel and they select they fuel supply company who comes onsite and keeps it full if running for several hours, or just fills it at the end. We used Noco nergy to do this for us in the past.