1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snow melting machine (small) to be loaded by skidsteer

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by lilsteve08, Feb 4, 2011.

1. lilsteve08

lilsteve08 Senior Member

Does anyone know of a small snow melting machine or how to make something that would quickly melt snow being loaded by a skidsteer? Also do you need a permit to direct snow into sewer system/manholes?

2. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Never seen one that small...

In NJ- you need a permit for EVERYTHING! Especially things pertaining to waterways... dump water into storm drains/rivers without a permit, and expect BIG D.E.C. fines! Why not just truck the snow away?

3. treeman06

treeman06 Senior Member

why would you need a permit to melt snow into the street? what happens in the spring when the snow melts on its own?

4. contractor078

contractor078 Senior Member

here in DE you need a permit for anything too. any time that you pop a manhole you need a permit to tie in to one dump into one anything. if you don't you will get some big fines! they are usually pretty cool about things but as long as you talk with them. i agree that you would really be better off trucking the snow off so that you don't get into trouble with the gov officials.

5. Mass-hole

Mass-hole Member
    from Boston

Generally snow melters have filters on them which screen out trash and other debris as well as oil etc...

You need a permit because when the snow melts, it leaves all the sand and salt behind for you to pickup with a sweeper, or stay in the grass. When you just melt it all that stuff goes into water ways at once.

6. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

I would look into the permit thing, you just need to be by a drain, no need to open a man hole. In NY you cant just dump snow in a field, by law, but havent heald anything about snowmelters runoff as long as it goes into the sewers I would think your fine. As was stated above they have a filter to catch debris that would other wise be left to blow away or be sweept up & would act as a settling basin for sand, gravel, etc. Im sure as there use increases there will be more BS associated with them.
    As for the one needing to be loaded with a skidsteer I know Snow Dragon has a model that size, & Michigan Melters that I saw seem like it could be as well (& they will custom build I believe).

7. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

For those of you not from NJ... you don't really have any idea the BS we get to deal with regarding regs from the state- ESPECIALLY when it comes to environmental issues (i.e. dumping water into sewers without a permit)... if they can find a way to get you on some violation, TRUST ME THEY WILL!!!:rolleyes:

Best bet- call your municipality- they'll certainly be able to tell you if they require a permit/if the state/county requires one. IMO- it's always better to ask than get slapped by the law after the fact :mad:

8. leon

leon Senior Member

snow melters

A lot of this depends on number of factors;

In New York State:

You cannot directly dump snow or melt water into water ways due to the sodium chloride content via storm sewers, sanitary sewers, or combined sewers.

The sanitary sewers "whether separate or combined" cannot properly treat raw sewage
    inflows.

Snow melt water that has no sodiium chloride or other icemelt chemicals can be discharged into storm sewers.

You can dump snow in an "approved snow dump" away from "waterways", "creeks", "rivers", streams etc.

I have a posting here regarding how a quick snow melter can be simply used to melt snow and ice using small corrugated steel culverts and torpedeo space heaters and allow it to be discharged -Providing there are no deicing chemicals in the snow being melted.

9. qualitycut

qualitycut PlowSite Fanatic

Wow some strict laws for dumping snow. So what happens if you lot is next to a lake and your snow piles get to big? When the treated lots melt wont all the stuff go into the sewers anyways?

10. toyotaplow

toyotaplow Member

lol, our city snow dump used to be about 200 feet from the ottawa river, they just moved it this year because the property was sold.

11. cjasonbr

cjasonbr Senior Member
    from Mass

Naaaa. As it melts the water filters through the snow. What's left is a pile of crap.

12. leon

leon Senior Member

snow melt run off

If your PERMITTED snow dump is not sufficiently inland from ANY waterway, "Navigable" or otherwise and the chlorides can be traced to your snow dump YOUR DOOMED!

All the snow at the bean town airports and the New York city airports has become such a problem that they have applied for permints to dump it inthe ocean near the airports.

IT would not be an issue if they had snow melter buildings containing melt basins where they could simply dump it and melt it as is done in Hokaido, Japan BUT...............................

13. mwalsh9152

mwalsh9152 Senior Member

Logan Airport in Boston has melters, both huge inground ones, as well as portable ones, its just too much to keep up with. I actually saw one on the news last night that Massport loaned to the city of Boston, it was on an International 4300 chassis, and was being loaded by a Bobcat

14. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

Those regs for the most part are just for private guys. The city here dumps directly into the Genesee river durring larger events, right off a bridge downtown, or at least they have in the past.

15. leon

leon Senior Member

snow

They dont dump in the river anymore with the new restrictions on removal and paved streets when salt is used.