1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snow Melters

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by J & B Lawncare, Nov 5, 2005.

1. J & B Lawncare

J & B Lawncare Member

Does anyone here use a snow melter? I have never seen one in person. Looks like they require a lot of fuel to melt the mass amounts of snow. Where are they used? Are they fast? What is the fuel. I was thinking of a homemade unit made from a shipping container with sosme sort of wood burner inside. How does this sound? Workable?

J & B Lawncare
  2. DugHD

DugHD Senior Member
    from Maine

I'm curious what you find or build , I think i just asked the same question yesterday if anyone uses a snowmelter. I would like to find a used one cheap.
  3. sunriseturf

sunriseturf Member

I've seen em used in Phildelphia. They are quite expensive and use an amazing amount of fuel from what I understand. I have a friend who sub at an airport and they were using them at $5000 an hour. I've seen more ads come out for them in the trade pubs. Situation has to be right to warrant one of these.
  4. dirt digger

dirt digger Senior Member

pretty sure The Linc and Citizens Park have in ground ones.
  5. Oshkosh

Oshkosh PlowSite.com Addict

Logan Airport in Boston has a bunch.

I've seen them run at Logan airport,they have six I think. Once melted the water has to be filtered before being drained(EPA) since they are on the ocean.Theirs are built flush to the ground just push the snow into a pile and a loader feeds the melter.
    I think the commercial ones are about $150,000 if I remember correctly, been a few years since I was in the business.
    I often thought a trailer mounted one that you could haul around to the different Malls ,Industrial parks,Hospitals anywhere space/parking is limited would be a money maker???
  6. hickslawns

hickslawns Senior Member

They make them trailer mounted which can be pulled with a one ton truck. Top speed is something like 10-20mph. Hope you are not in a hurry to get there! They do start around $150k. They do burn about 60gal/hour of diesel fuel and some of the larger ones obviously burn more. They also make them to run off of natural gas and I think maybe even fuel oil. The natural gas melters are all stationary. You can also rent them for about $10-15k per month on a first come first serve and they are usually all rented out by now. I think it is 4 or 5 month minimum rental. Interesting pieces of equipment. Pretty much good only for hospitals, sports venues, airports, or maybe in big towns with minimal parking areas. Pretty much only good for those with deep pockets when it comes to their snow budget.