1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snow Melter Questions

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Eddie D, Dec 3, 2007.

1. Eddie D

Eddie D Member

We am looking at leasing vs. buying a snow melter for a large complex I take care of. I have met with a guy to buy one from Snow Dragon and I also met with a company Aero to lease one. I liked both but I feel the Snow Dragon melter is to new and the company Aero is very large and has been around for a while.

Aero also does snow removal and they use thier own machines. So I feel if they were not reliable they would wouldnt use it for themselves!

I do not want to get involved with trucking snow away becouse the area is too congested.

I like the idea of leasing it becouse for 1 we only need it for 3 years and I do not want to have to deal with storing this monster during the off season.

I tried to attach a picture of the Aero machine but I am new to this and its giving me a hard time.

Anybody here ever use these machines and if so could you let me know what to look out for?
  2. Wicked500R

Wicked500R Senior Member

Aero Snow...Does most of the snow removal at most major northeast airports and Cleveland. I loaded one at Newark International..A BIG one! They melt snow as fast as you can load it...You need to be fast with a front loader and try to keep it full when loading. It'll melt down to a certain point and then it will steam over..Thats the point where the steam has an air pocket to escape out the top..Keeping it full avoids this...It becomes VERY hard to see what your doing when this happens and you can smash the bucket into the melter...When it melts the snow...it dumps water out the bottom and ALOT of it...that will need somewhere to go...You can't just park it anywhere and melt snow...It'll need a good storm drain to park it over or very close so the water can run into it...Then you will have to find out if you can legally do that in the municipality that you want to do this in... Thats my experience with them...I would buy the Aero one...And you need a big enough loader to supply it fast enough... A skid steer won't do it...I would recommend atleast a 3-4 yd. bucket minimum...
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2007
  3. Eddie D

Eddie D Member

Thanks for the reply. I am looking at thier samllest model which is 60 tons per hour. An F350 can tow it. They said a skid will be fine but I also am working with a contractor that will supply me with a large payloader when I need it. When I was at thier yard I saw the huge ones you are talking about and they are insane. BTW they build all thier own melters right there in the yard.

I am not doing a commecial for them but these guys are huge. They do every major airport on the east coast and I read an article that Denver Airport brought them and Snow Go in after the disaster they had last year. They had what seemed to be a hundred loaders in the yard being serviced. I love big equipment but I was on sensor overload there.

Anyway thanks and I will let you now what happens.