1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snow melter question

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by JimMarshall, Jan 27, 2016.

1. JimMarshall

JimMarshall Senior Member
    from NW PA

Watching some stuff on snow meters, so for those familiar with them or the owners of them, why do you park them directly over a catch basin? I know that seems like a stupid question but hear me out.....

The discharge is a minimum of 70 degrees F. Assuming it's above freezing out to where you're not going to make a skating rink, wouldn't it be more efficient and melt more snow to either pipe the water to be sprayed in the snow pile, or at least park up hill of it and let the warm water run down to it to melt extra snow? What am I missing here? Surely I'm not the first person that has thought of this.

2. fireball

fireball PlowSite.com Veteran

good questions, maybe John Allin will answer you. I think it has more to do with economics rather than efficiency. Adding more pumps to recycle the water plus spray heads will only increase the cost without much increase in production. direct discharge into sewer is probably more efficient than trying to drive through 2 ft of wet heavy snow

3. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Snow is contaminated with oil and crap.

Try explaining to the EPA how its OK. We (Arctic) own one but I don't know the regulations. Just my guess.

4. ServiceOnSite

ServiceOnSite Senior Member

If you let the water run down hill or spray a pile of snow with it, it will eventually turn to water. The reason for the catch basin is because its below freezing, or its supposed to be, and the water gets to flow out that way with out causing a back up.
    Also the reason for not dumping the snow into water alone is due to what ever objects get picked up while loading the snow into the dump truck, transported to the melter, then melted. Every 20-30 min the melter has to shut off, or run out to check for debris inside. Remove debris, then return to melting. The melter acts as a filter if you will to keep most garbage and debris out of the storm sewer, or what ever your pumping it into.