1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snow Melter Machine

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by NEAL, Jan 7, 2001.

1. NEAL

NEAL Member

My father in law was telling me about these big hopper type units that the city of Chicago dumps snow into and it melts the snow and the water goes down into the drian system. Anyone use these things? I never saw one.

2. iowastorm

iowastorm Senior Member

These units are mostly used by municipalities and airports. They're big bucks to purchase or lease. John Allin referred to one in a previous thread a while back.
  3. sam c

sam c Member

i went on a tour of logan airports snow and ice control operation a few years ago and they have some of these. a couple were mobile and a couple permanant. i wish i wrote down the amount of fuel they burn it was obscene, near 100 gph.
  4. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 PlowSite.com Addict

I could use one of those right about now... I have an ENORMOUS snow pile in my front yard, I can't even see out my front window!

5. bob

bob PlowSite.com Veteran

Philadelphia just got a few of them. They've been bragging about them on the news. However they haven't said how well they work.
  6. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Someone mentioned that their granddaddy told them about melting snow curbside years ago. Some type of flame thrower mounted under the dump body, aimed at the gutter. The truck would just roll along real slow melting as it went.

On that fuel consumption note, the 2 boilers where I work burn 24,000 gallons per day. The tanker trucks just keep coming and coming and coming.....

7. columbiaplower

columbiaplower Senior Member

New York city used on a week back in times square to clean up the snow before New Years, neat to watch, worked well.
    what it is is a vat of boiling water. snow goes in and becomes part of the water. water is slowly let out so that it doesnt overflow but it doesnt completely empty
  8. litle green guy

litle green guy Senior Member

I know a guy who used to plow at Newark airport and he siad that they had a huge pit that they would dump snow into to melt it all. Same thing you guys are talking about exept I think this is a permenant boiler pit.
  9. guido

guido PlowSite.com Veteran

That was me a while bag that told about the machine that blows flames into the windrow by the gutter. If anyone finds pics of any of this stuff, let me know! Thanks!
  10. John Allin

John Allin PlowSite.com Addict

I've seen them up close and in operation. They are slick. However, they are also $250,000+ to buy. No cheap date.
  11. AB Lawn Care

AB Lawn Care Member

I made a post on these machines a few monthes ago.If you search for it you may find it.I even found a company that sells them with pictures of it in action.
  12. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping Senior Member

13. John Allin

That picture is not the same ones they are using at Newark International, JFK International and in Chicago.

I've never seen that type before. Looks like it would work quite well on streets.
  14. Greens Keeper

Greens Keeper Junior Member

Snow melter

I seen the story on the weather channel about the snow in times square. With a little searching on this neat thing called the internet, a comapny in Canada makes them. Try their web site http://www.trecan.com Like to know $$$$$$
  15. 4 Saisons

4 Saisons Senior Member

16. John Allin

4 S....

Nice pictures..... can't read the danged verbiage !!
  17. snow

snow PlowSite.com Veteran

I found this while searching. this is a dealer that sells them, they have a description (in english) and some photos. i believe it's the same ones that they used in time square.
    here it is:<a href="http://www.plowsunlimited.com/specialty1.htm">http://www.plowsunlimited.com/specialty1.htm</a>

18. 4 Saisons

4 Saisons Senior Member

Mr Allin...

Sorry for these french links...

University here in Quebec, Canada works on this project for environemental reasons.

the unit will be used to removed snow in the streets. the unit have a hose at the end connected to the streets mainhole. by this way, water will be treated by the water station before returning in the soil with less polutions.

no idea when they will begin to use it.

But here in sherbrooke, quebec, canada. for the next winter we will need to be registed at the city. They want to know what kind of equipment we use and wich sector we cover. I dont know how much it will cost, all this because too much truck put the snow in the street. The good news, i think it will make disapear the scalper or those who operate cash only.

sorry again for my english, my french' better but i don't want to chat alone !!!

[Edited by 4 Saisons on 01-11-2001 at 06:35 PM]
  19. John Allin

4 S...

I gotta keep in mind that you're french.... any you might not understand when I'm kidding.

I was just pulling your leg about not being able to read the language. It was a joke. No need to apologize. It was my fault.

I was joshin with ya, dude !!! No matter what language you speak, you're in the snow business... so you're one of us !!

You keep right on communicating like you are - you're doing just fine. Your input is valuable and welcome. Keep it comin !!

[Edited by John Allin on 01-11-2001 at 07:08 PM]
  20. 4 Saisons

4 Saisons Senior Member

Reading 100% even when you guys are joking or kidding.

BTW about the permit we gonna have next years, for us its new. never heard about this before. Does some of you have to pay this and how much.