1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snow markers on brick

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ducaticorse, Nov 21, 2012.

1. ducaticorse

ducaticorse PlowSite.com Addict
    from we

I have an incredibly sensitive account that has polished marble borders in the parking areas on a paver drive. I need to mark the boundaries and am thinking I'm going to have to bore into the pavers with a hammer drill to set the markers. Any thoughts on this?

2. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

Into the pavers that are installed at ground level?

If that was my driveway I'd have to shoot you for doing this.

Now if you're talking about drilling into loose pavers, installing the marker in the hole and setting these on top of the existing pavers marking your borders...now your thinking.:drinkup:

3. ducaticorse

from we

LOL, gee thanks... Yes, I was thinking of driving directly into the pavers. They are easily replaced and I thought it would be a good way to have the sticks set up on a semi permanent basis. The holes would he half inch maybe less, and wouldnt be noticeable unless you were looking for them. Otherwise, I'd have to buy a half pallet of pavers for this layout to mark it out as you suggested, and still have to worry about them getting jostled during a push.

4. born2farm

born2farm 2000 Club Member

I'm not understanding. Its a highly sensitive account yet there going to let you drill holes in the pagers to put up markers?

5. ducaticorse

from we

It's sensitive in the respect that it is a billion dollar technology firm that is OCD about "black pavement" pre treating, trucking excess snow etc. I have authorization to do the drilling, that isn't the issue here. I was just throwing out the question here to see if anyone had other ideas besides drilling.

6. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

Can't think of any.

Do you do get to charge them in the spring for replaceing the pavers you drill into?

7. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

Why not just pull out pavers in the spots you need to mark and pile them up on the back of the building? Drop them back in place in the spring.

Also, give a WIDE berth to the marble corners. If they crack and you didn't even touch them, they'll probably blame you. At least if you keep back 4 feet from them, there's nothing they can do to pin it on you.

8. bmwe0692

bmwe0692 Junior Member

Can you try two L shaped pieces. Weld a arrow type piece on one long L, so it can't twist. Drive it into the ground,measure the off-set, weld the short side with the long L up. Instill flag and there you go. After plowing season just pull-up and save for next season. Might have a greater cost of all the metal, than drilling the holes.
    Easy-pizy nice and easy.

T.J.

9. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

Slide a piece of scrap sheet metal down beside the paver, you'll have to play with how to attach the marker. I would think you could drive it into the base layer straight, wrap it around the marker and add a hose clamp.

10. ducaticorse

from we

They will pay to replace, however I don't anticipate the need. I dont think a well placed half inch hole in the paver will destroy the whole block.

11. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

I think you're "incredibly sensitive":waving: I think the drilling will break the paver, or they will crack with the freeze/thaw cycles after water gets into the marker hole.

This is what I was thinking, but don't get into the base material. If the base is messed up, they will settle unevenly.

How about these marking flags until you establish a snow berm to work off of. Thin enough to not disturb much of anything.
    http://www.gemplers.com/shop/marking-flags

12. ducaticorse

from we

I thought about breakage during the drilling, but figured if I kept using fresh masonry bits I'd be all set.

I really like the flag idea though. It will reduce my work load considerably, this lot is a veritable mine field of marble. Thank you for that.Thumbs Up

And yes, I can be a lil sensitive sometimes :drinkup:

13. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

Don't know if they will stand up in the snow though.I would think they should. The lot sounds like a PITA, but I,m sure it pays well. Good luck with it.

14. ducaticorse

from we

Like you said previously, they only need to hold up until I develop a berm. Then I can put in the snow stakes. Plus this edging work is all bobcat.

Lot is a PITA, but it's a quarter mile from were I live. Pretty much all my accounts are within a mile except one. And they want Magic Salt shellacking at the wiff of inclement weather. Normally you'd salt 18-25 times in this area during a normal season, I wouldn't be surprised one bit if I'm in between 30-40 on this particular one, and each app I'll throw 3/4 ton down.. $$$$$

Last edited: Nov 21, 2012
  15. BigBoyPlowin

BigBoyPlowin Senior Member

We have 3 Accounts in a sub division that My buddy built.. The houses are on the Multi Million Dollar Scale im sure so of course their driveways have Marble/ granite Borders like your customer does... The guy requested that we hand shovel the One side of the driveway where the curb is.

Before i go on, Let me just say if he wasn't on an All inclusive Customer and didn't pay in full at the beginning of the year i would of dropped him!

Anyway... We Stake the the sides Even though its 4-5" Back from the actual driveway. And Shovel.

All i can say is if you have to do something extra make sure you get paid for it!

16. gwhalen3

gwhalen3 Member

My goodness fellas. Just use duct tape!...They re only markers:drinkup::laughing:

17. M.McDaniel

M.McDaniel Member

Stake the site as you would any other site. Place a notation into your route sheet telling all drivers to stay back four feet from the stakes.

18. shovelracer

shovelracer Senior Member

Long term solution is to have pool cover anchors professionally installed and then custom up your stakes with the threaded bottom. In the spring the stakes come out and the hole plugs go in. Cleaner than just drilling holes.

19. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

20. BigBoyPlowin

BigBoyPlowin Senior Member

Actually now that i think about it Gorilla tape your poly stakes to the curb... I wouldnt be scared to do that