1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snow Mapping

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by jhall22guitar, Oct 24, 2015.

1. jhall22guitar

jhall22guitar PlowSite.com Addict

I know some contractors like to use snow maps to show operators where to pile snow, shovel, etc.

What software does everyone use to edit the maps? Anything free? Microsoft Office is making me want to shoot myself today.
  2. born2farm

born2farm 2000 Club Member

Weve always pulled Google Earth images and used Microsoft Paint to draw propert boundaries, designated snow pile locations, hazards, ect. Its a little time consuming, but its free and easy.
  3. JustJeff

JustJeff PlowSite.com Addict

findlotsize.com or as mentioned above, google earth.
  4. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Can't do a route drive through and point with your index finger?
  5. oarwhat

oarwhat Senior Member

Sure he can go and show them. And they'll forget half of it.
  6. JimMarshall

JimMarshall Senior Member
    from NW PA

That becomes time consuming when you have to do it with 10 different guys that each have the possibility of doing 3 or 4 different routes.
  7. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Print said pics with locations highlighted.

If they can't get it.....

And a dry run in in everyone's best interest.
  8. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

I'm just happy not to see shopping carts in the piles

Pics, drive, maps are all good ideas, expecially on the split lots.
  9. jhall22guitar

jhall22guitar PlowSite.com Addict

Im on the property management end of the business this year, local company that is hiring another company to plow our parking lots and rentals. Our company doesn't have the equipment, and hasn't in a few years, to do snow removal on our properties. Im hoping to change it and bring it back in house in the next few years.

The issue I have is that even at 21 I am the most experienced person on the management end of snow removal in the company, 2 years as a manager for a company with 50+ sites as well as working in residential for the prior 4 years with my father. I was just never in charge of making the snow maps that we handed out, so I am looking to do that this year to give to our contractor to help maximize the amount of parking we can retain, and also hope he comes out before there is 2 feet of snow on the ground.

And yes pointing the finger works as long as you are in the truck with them every time. Some people never learn, and 1olddogtwo, I agree with the shopping carts in the piles, seeing those at the end of a season was never good.