1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snow jobs 1500++++

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by alpine692003, Dec 8, 2004.

1. alpine692003

alpine692003 Senior Member

How would you guys handle a situation like this?

I just dealt with a property management company and all the property managers give us their contracts, i mean ALL of the snow service job lol..

Some jobs are 400-600 then some are like 1600. My main concerns is for the jobs that are 1500++, how would you guys do this?

I dont want to be out 3k for a snow service job and not get paid?!?!?

Do i go in and sit down with them, tell them i will ned a deposit up front?
  2. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

if you are talking $3000 jobs then I would be asking for atleast a $10,000 Refundable Retainer Fee
  3. alpine692003

Oh ya, I'm talking about jobs that are like minimum $1,000 and up!

Hey, I'm going to need $5,000 returnable retainee fee from you for jobs that are $1,000 and up... I'll return that fee if it doesnt reach up to $5,000 but charge you accordingly..

The PM will say yah okay, bye bye... wont they?
  4. Tscape

Tscape Senior Member

Well, I don't know if that is exactly how I would do that. The idea is good, and the manager won't necessarily write you off. He/she will have a budget for the season and be willing to spend it. You may look into getting a performance bond to insure them that the job will get done. Or set up an escrow account that requires both parties signature for a withdrawal.
  5. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

This is coming from the guy who just had a thread about clearing snow for a townhouse complex with two other guys with "only shovels I don't have a plow truck"... is this guy serious???
  6. alpine692003

OF COURSE I AM SERIOUS, WHY WOULD I post a topic and joke around?
  7. OneBadDodge06

OneBadDodge06 Senior Member
    from Iowa

wouldn't a contract which is a legal binding document be just as good?
  8. glenspot

glenspot Senior Member

you don't have a plow... you're using snowblowers and shovels.

some lots are $1,500.

Thats a huge lot to use a snowblower on.

Name of the site is PLOWsite. Not that we're not all willing to help.

But if you ARE serious.... then you have to tell everyone how you got these kinds of contracts with a snowblower and some shovels.

What marketing do you use. What exactly did you say to the property manager to convince him to hire you for that kind of project with so little experience.

Posted 11-11-04:
    Seems fishy to me.

(And I know fish)....
  9. HLS Wholesale

HLS Wholesale Senior Member

If you can't afford to be out $3000, you should not be taking this kind of job. Stick to the residential and small commercial customers. Don't come off as being a company bigger than you really are...you're going to get yourself in trouble. Start small and build gradually. The management company will appreciate your honesty and not flinch about giving you some smaller properties. As enticing as a "big contract" sounds, snow removal will seperate the men from the boys more so than any other activity.

Just some thoughts...do what you want. Everybody learns there own way.

Dan Norton
    Hoy Landscaping, Inc.
  10. CGLC

CGLC Senior Member

I think people are just confused. You are going to do a 24 unit complex with shovels and a little blower? How many days would that take to complete? When you say, "all the property managers give us their contracts" I take it you are doing more than just the one complex mentioned above. Man, if I am not missing anything i'm scared for you!! About how many inches of snow fall in your area? I read in your past post that 4" was a lot of snow for you last year. Well anyways good luck and report back what happens