1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snow is coming and plow is acting up

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by nate456789, Jan 6, 2010.

1. nate456789

nate456789 Senior Member
    from Indiana

So a snow storm is coming and after I put my plow on I was trying it out and when I angle right, Left and scoop the motor stays on and the pump is running like on bypass.
    Drop the plow and it stops or lift the plow and it stops angle or scoop and it does it again.
    I shut the controller off and back on and it still does it.
    Unplugged the 13 pin and back in and it still does it.
    I only have 4 hrs plowing on this new plow and didn't have any issues when I put it away.

Any ideas?

2. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

well your still under warenty, place where i got my plow will do warrenty work any time of the day, and if you have a storm coming iam sure yours will too.
  3. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

Sounds like a bad solenoid to me but I'm no expert. A new one is about $25 and you should be able to switch it out in less than 10 minutes.
  4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Jeez Nate what are you doing to this thing? :D

If you disconnect the controller does the motor immediately stop running? Or does it continue to run?

How about the 13 pin plug? If you disconnect it does it stop?
  5. nate456789

nate456789 Senior Member
    from Indiana

I haven't tried disconnecting it while it is doing it.
    But what I think you are steering me towards is a faulty controller. That sucks for tonight and all day tomorrow.

But I turned the truck off and the controller and let it set for a minute and it appears to be working for now.
    I kept running it thru all the positions and it didn't do it. So I will continue to hold my breath.

I know you had a trick for raising the plow and getting it home if the controller fails. What was that again? What if it is in V - What can I do to retract and lift so maybe I can take it to mid west if it craps out on me.
  6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

A faulty controller is always a possibility and the questions I asked would warrant that, or just a faulty underhood relay.

To "hotwire" the plow without a controller use the following.

1) Disconnect the controller (duh).

2) Make up a short jumper using two pieces of wire. Strip all four ends and then twist two of them together at one end making a "Y" (good idea to store it in the truck along with these instructions).

4) Use the jumper to probe the backside of the controller plug (on the truck side of course). Probing the backside instead of the connector pin side helps prevent from accidentally touching other pins than those you want.

5) Using two of the jumper ends, place one in the white wire socket and the other in the white/black.

6) Lastly, turn the ignition key on and touch the last tail of your jumper to the black wire in the socket. The plow will raise.

7) If you wish to lower it, simply touch the orange and black together. The plow will lower and be in float as long as you have these wires connected.

Retracting the wings?

1) Connect the black and the green to retract the right wing.
    2) Black and the red/black will retract the left one.

You can also extend the wings, just takes some hand dexterity.

1) Connect the black, white/black, and the red to extend the right wing.
    2) Connect the black, white/black, and the blue to extend the left wing.

Who needs a stinking controller? :D
  7. nate456789

nate456789 Senior Member
    from Indiana

Thanks B&B! Hopefully I won't need this!

After I thought about it it could be a relay sticking.
    I have four of them in my truck Box so I can swap one out if it fails.
    Thanks for the help. I am about as prepared Now as I can be without a spare controller.
  8. nate456789

nate456789 Senior Member
    from Indiana

I finally got tired of fighting it and changed the relay this morning. That fixed it.
    It is weird how the relay failed. It was intermittent.
    I guess it was sticking until I had a good load on it, like lifting the blade.

Thanks for the help and pin outs. I made up some jumpers with sockets on each end and put them in the truck if I need them.

This has been the craziest event yet for equipment failures. Started with the blazer's exhaust system falling off last night and I had to run new pipe and muffler from the Y . Then the Boss started acting up after that. Then went to start the K2500 this morning and the starter was froze up.
    Got to the job and my strobes on the new truck quit working.

No matter how hard you try to fix things and be pro active to avoid these things, things still want to break.
  9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

It's not really that common but I have witnessed them do that before. Even brand new out of the box. But it's usually on the no name branded ones people buy to save a buck.

Thats just the nature of the beast when involved in anything mechanical. Everything breaks eventually no matter how much prep you do. But prepping definitely does lower the odd...or buys you time. So keep it up.