1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snow in Ohio ?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Clapper&Company, Feb 9, 2005.

1. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

The Weather service says, were goign to see some frezzing rain & snow today and tonight !! :drinkup: There calling for an 1" to 2" today and 1" to 3" tonight. Well were take all we can get right?? I just picked up a new truck to add to my fleet. I wish it was reday to plow. The plows siting in the shop. Going to bust @$$ today and try to get it ready to roll for tonight. It sould only take 4 or so hours to install the meyers plow, and a few to install the new light bar. I'll keep you posted on how the truck turns out, and what the weathers doing.

2. salt shaker

salt shaker Member

On the way

It is in western Ohio right now and moving in this direction plan for a fun evening during rush hour traffic!

Which weather service do you use? We have gone to Murray & Trettle and are still on the fence with their service. They are real good at predicting when the snow or freezing rain will start, but are not very good at predicting when the total storm will end...Any different expeiences from your service?

3. Clapper&Company

from NE OHIO

I use weather.com and accuweather.com. Accuweather dose a good job ahead of time, there were saying we would see snow today, when i looked sunday, were the weather service said rain for today, they change it to snow last night, i belive. It seems like they both work good, 8-10 I would say accuweather hits it on nuts, where the weather service is right about 6-10.

You say you use Murray & Trettle, do they have a website? What time are they saying its going to start and how much are they calling for?

Keep us posted.

4. salt shaker

salt shaker Member

Update

Beginneing between 9-11 am, with a duratin of a definite 6-12 hours ( don't count on the last part) it ends when it ends is our feeling. Total accumulations of 1-3 inches with the posibility of future updates for the evening Wed. into Thur. morning. I believe the web page is www.murrayandtrettle.com but do not quote me on that, as I have been wrong in the past.

Happy plowing!! payup

5. Clapper&Company

from NE OHIO

thanks for the link. You feel the way I do its over when its over, Were take all we can get is the way I feel about it. Has any of you guys talked about haveing a NE ohio get together?

I'll lets you know how much snlow me get today and tonight on firday..

6. salt shaker

salt shaker Member

Changes by the minute

Called weather service to find out where the snow is :dizzy: They informed us that a high pressure has formed over Ashtabula that has carried the cooler temps up and over the immediate area, rain will change over to snow at our location in about 20 mins. High will move out and we will receive 1" of accumulationon grass areas only, may turn into a salt event for the afternoon, as the low moves across the area a trace to 1/2" will fall this evening. The best thing about this service is that you can call them at any time and get updates as much as you want throughout the snow or ice event.

Weather people, can't live with them...pass me a :drinkup:

7. John from OH

John from OH Member

This one was pretty disappointing. I'm southwest of you and we pretty much got skunked. Rain and then light flurries. I've watched this one fall apart on radar since last night while the local forecast on the Weather Channel went from 1"-2", then 2"-4" and then 3"-7" all within an hour this morning. There was nothing on radar to indicate any increase in precipitation. I want a job where I can be this wrong and not get fired. lol

8. Clapper&Company

from NE OHIO

The weather service is now saying Snowfall around one inch tonigh. What happen to the 1-3 tonigh they were calling for? :gunsfiring: Weather people
    Well i dont think were going to need to put the plows on now, :angry: At the most might have to shake salt later. Now I willn't have to bust @$$ to get the new truck ready. I'm going to take my time now, later think i'll :drinkup: then take a nap.

9. Young Pup

Young Pup PlowSite Fanatic

Nada, Zilch, nothing here in Columbus. Just rain :cry: :cry:

10. Clapper&Company

from NE OHIO

What a waste of pecip. If you ask me. A few guys say were done for the winter, I don't think so. whats your guys input ?

11. Young Pup

Young Pup PlowSite Fanatic

I say we are not done yet. I went out on a limb in another post saying Presidents day weekend we will get some plowable snow. I will stick with that.

12. winterangel

winterangel Member
    from Ohio

On the North west of Ohio

I SEE RED INSTEAD OF GREEN :cry: We so far seen rain and wet snow that did not even stick. Had everything packed and ready to go. Told my other half we need to move to the lakes! Lake Erie area in fact So I can plow till my heart content. :redbounce

13. gt_racer50

gt_racer50 Senior Member
    from Ohio

Go to NOAA, look up the data for your area since 1996, there's your answer to the question. Central Ohio 2 years ago got alot of snow, every other Feb is pretty sad for snow. Might get 1 more event in Feb if we're lucky, and if we are real lucky 1 in March. That's the history. There might be some salting during that time, but with the way the temps are looking at least on AccuWeather that could be pretty iffy also. I remember one year about 14-15 years ago we got a ton of snow in one event in April. It's a day late and a dime short in April, I've got close to 2 months of landscape work done by then and were mowing the 1st week in April. Plowing in Ohio other than NE Ohio is a joke if you are in it for the money, cause you'll go hungry in a hurry. I only do it to keep the mowing contracts happy. The money could be great if we had winter anymore or one that lasted more than the last half of Dec and the Month of Jan. If your in it for the money, you can make more from Dec thru Mar working at Home Depot. Enough Venting, it just gets ridicules after a while. I think building a website, forcasting the weather and charging people to read your guesses would be a hell of a money maker. I think I could be right as often as Accuweather, NWS, Intellicast, and all the rest as well as the local stations.

14. Clapper&Company

from NE OHIO

yea, tell me about it. Winter isn't the as it was. Which is better weather.com or Accuweather.com?

They changethe weather again, this moring they said 1" today 1-3 tonigh and 1" maybe thursday. At noon they said rain today maybe 1" tonight and maybe an 1" thursday. Now at 3:30 there calling for 1-3 tonigh and 1-3 tomrrow. Thats what weather.com is saying, I'll keep you guys updated.

We'll take all we can.

15. gt_racer50

gt_racer50 Senior Member
    from Ohio

The best way I've found is to pick a site, look at the radar, then go outside and see for yourself. That works best for me. Did you go to NOAA and look up for your area since 96? It will tell you alot. It will tell you everything that it did and more importantly, what it didn't do every day of the week since 96.

16. Clapper&Company

from NE OHIO

no I haven't checked yet, I will. well there still caling for 1-3 tonigh and 1-3 tomrrow, I think this is the longest they've went today w/ o changeing there minds lol

17. salt shaker

salt shaker Member

Anybody get snow today?

I hate to hog all this snow but I just got done plowing 3" up here in the snow belt. It was pretty localized though, covering about a 20 mile radius from 271 and 422 to 322 and 44. We salted once this morning and man I'll tell you
    I LIKE MAGIC SALT (not to brag). We didn't have to salt 7/8 of our commercial accounts the rest of the morning, and afternoon. Went back and did some spot applications at the other 1/8th of the accounts. Where we didn't salt we had 3-4". I hope you guys get to join in the fun some day.

18. Clapper&Company

from NE OHIO

i'm going out on a limb and say we got maybe 1/2" Went out salted, then hooked the new plow to the new truck, hope to get the new lightbar on this week end

19. gt_racer50

gt_racer50 Senior Member
    from Ohio

Do you charge enough for the Magic Salt to make up for the lost revenue on the saltings that you didn't have to do?

20. lawnkid

lawnkid Senior Member

Don't get your hopes down just yet :nod: They are calling for snow next Friday night the 18th, all day Saturday and Sunday so it should be a good one plus they're also calling for snow almost everyday the following week so we're not done.