1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snow in Northern Virginia?!?!?!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by DodgeRam1996, Oct 9, 2006.

1. DodgeRam1996

DodgeRam1996 Senior Member

Hi everyone. I plowed in the mid 90s when we used to get snow in Virginia! I've been waiting to get back into plowing, but (it seems) we don't get that much snow anymore in Northern Virginia? I don't know if it's global warming or just the weather patterns.

It also seems like Maryland (Baltimore area) gets a lot more snow.

Does anyone here think Northern Virginia will ever get as much snow as we did 10 years ago? Also, do you think it makes sense to travel north to plow (Baltimore is about 45 minutes away).

I work in the concrete industry, so we slow down in winter and when it snows we can't work. The only conflict is I ski/snowboard, but other than that, If there was a bad storm within 100 miles I could be there ( would probably work for someone else on a hourly basis). How far do you guys travel to plow?

Last edited: Oct 9, 2006
  2. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

with the cost of gas and the way it snows here (2 miles difference can have a 2" difference) I don't like to go more than 3-5 miles from my house. No offense but I wouldn't hire someone 45 minutes away on a clear day to sub my work. Maybe as a backup to my back up.:D
  3. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Look up " snow plowing / removal " in the Baltimore phone book. The library probably has one or the internet yellow pages.
    Call some of them, see if they would hire you.
    Driving 45 minutes to work is nothing to some people. I have worked with people that drive and hour across 2 counties to work.Most construction workers do it all summer long.
    In my area a lot of construction guys have plows on their work trucks. If it snows they still work at something. A positive cash flows better then no cash flow.