1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snow in Northern Indiana

Discussion in 'Weather' started by plowindiesel, Nov 18, 2008.

1. plowindiesel

plowindiesel Senior Member

I'm in South Bend and the white stuff is starting to get heavier and heavier...time to make some money

2. clncut

clncut PlowSite.com Addict

We got about 10" of the white gold. Started out nice and fluffy but as the day worn on in started becoming concrete! All in all it was a good day and now its sleepy time

3. grsp

grsp Member
    from indiana

can never complain about white gold falling from the sky, but we were caught with our pants down. can't believe i was installing an irrigation system yesterday. we did what it took to get done, but it wasn't pretty. we are usually a well oiled machine. mother nature sure kicked us in the ass today. here in valpo, we officially got 10 inches. tommorrow is another day.

4. clncut

Definately caught me off gaurd. I just brought the mowers home to do clean ups yesterday. Woke up at 230 to see if we had our dusting and :eek:. Had to fly out to morgan twnsp to grab my plow, call subs and get to work. So now I have a trailer of Exmarks sitting in front coated with snow. Im hearing maybe more lake effect Thursday? Well see how the wind blows. Grsp, Im also in Valpo.

5. erkoehler

erkoehler PlowSite Veteran

If you guys get more this week, I would drive over to do some plowing if I had a gauranteed 6 hours.

Let me know if any of you need a hand, I could probably get two trucks out there.

Erickoehler8@hotmail.com

6. plowindiesel

good to hear all you guys got to push some of that white gold around...they are calling for more here on thursday but who knows with lake effect

7. clncut

I just noticed we are under another snow advisory. Calling for a couple of inches of lake effect before its all done buts thats what they said the other night before we got the 10 inches. The snow was a great thing, helped some of my customers get on the ball and stop dragging their feet with getting my contract back. payup Phone has been ringing all day today. Seems a lot of people were not ready as Ive been getting calls for estimates due to bad service. 1st snowfall and people are already shopping around.

8. grsp

grsp Member
    from indiana

thanks for the offer, but at the present time we are set. i notice your mastercraft link, very cool. we board behind a supra launch.

9. timberseal

timberseal Senior Member
    from 46385

Spent a good 10 hours in the truck plowing yesterday.... glad to see it fall. I got a call on a contract at about 1am in the morning with the go ahead otherwise I would have slept through most of the early hours!.

Did you ever have any luck with you applebees CC? I'm in Valpo too if you ever need a hand. I have a decent amount on the plate but it's always good to know someone in case of an emergency.

10. clncut

No luck with Applebees. Went their for lunch after our route was done and talked to the manager. She told me that my bid was exactly what 3 other companies bid but one company came in and bid it for 60.00..:eek: Who ever is plowing it can have it for that price. Management even stated the company probably isnt making any money.

Yeah, we should trade numbers just in case of an emergency. Good to know people! What is your businesses name?

John

11. timberseal

timberseal Senior Member
    from 46385

Hey John - Lot of lowballers out there. I've been laughed at on a couple bids becuase of some of the rates guys are giving. Hard to compete with a guy without insurance and the other overhead.

Our company is TimberSeal, LLC ... www.timberseal.net

If you ever need any help give me a call. Office line is (219) 548-2670 and its always forwarded to my cell in the winter months.

Take Care ~

Greg

12. clncut

Looks like tomorrow may be a bust. Snow lines look to nail LaPorte and east. Hopefully we will get at least 2" out of the deal. Anything more is a bonus.payup

13. timberseal

timberseal Senior Member
    from 46385

2" is good enough for me. Thats my trigger on my commercial work.

14. rdaily104

rdaily104 Member
    from Indiana

LaPorte

Just looked at weather. Saying up to 8 inches this afternoon until the morning.....

15. timberseal

timberseal Senior Member
    from 46385

Let it snow let it snow let it snow......... I love this lake effect this early in the season.

16. clncut

I noticed they upgraded us to a winter storm warning. 4-8 is possible. Not doing anything now. Going out to wire up the new spreader and heading to bed. Looks like its going to be one of those nights. Up at midnignt, 2 oclock, 3 oclock etc.

John

17. timberseal

timberseal Senior Member
    from 46385

Lets hope...... I want to do some plowing payup

18. timberseal

timberseal Senior Member
    from 46385

Man... bummer .... we didn't get anything but a dusting.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2008
  19. plowindiesel

i was in laporte hunting and couldnt see through my scope. we got at least 6 or 8 inches here in south bend

20. atasteofnature

atasteofnature Junior Member

i live in north webster but plow in elkhart and went up there this morning found not to much. it sounds like all the snow stop in south bend/mishawaka. the monday snow doesn't sound like to much but we will see. I dreaming of a white thanksgiving.