1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snow in Massachusetts

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by sir spaniourd, Jan 22, 2005.

1. sir spaniourd

sir spaniourd Senior Member

Here we go. It seems it's going to be a loooooooong night!
    at 5pm it is picking up very fast. there is almost 2" here in Newburyport :yow!: who is going to be the big winner tonight, South Boston Maybe???
    Have fun and drive safely.

2. sodking

sodking Member

I'll be out there tonight as well. Nothing at home in Dover yet but at the office (seabrook) we had the same 2"

Good luck.

3. sir spaniourd

i'll be posting every couple of hours. It seems is coming down even harder now.

4. sodking

sodking Member

How much so far...I sitting in my living room ordering a new Dell for the house.

I expect to go out in a few hours.

5. sir spaniourd

I have close to 3''. It seems it is slowing down a little but I just checked and in a couple of hours is going to increase to close to 3"/h.

6. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

Jackpot is in Eastern MA, along the coast. Especially south of Boston (me), norfolk county, plymouth county, Bristol county and down towards the Cape. N. RI. 20"-30" expected.

7. sodking

sodking Member

I am afraid I will miss the Pats game.

8. cja1987

Me Too, I will try damn hard not to though.

9. mister_snowplow

mister_snowplow Senior Member

Quick question for those in the state of MA. I heard that governor Romney will be declaring a State of Emergency. What exactly does this mean for us plowers? We are still allowed on the streets right, or is it just state officials and emergency crews (are we considered emergency crews)? Thanks for the clarification! :waving:

Last edited: Jan 22, 2005
  10. cja1987

Any one that is working on snow removal can be out. You could be a contractor for the town in almost any pick up so they would never know the difference even if we are not supposed to be out. They decleare an emergenct for a few reasons 1) to scare people 2) to hear themsealves talk 3) to keep all the nonessential vehicles from having ditch parties on the highways.

11. mister_snowplow

mister_snowplow Senior Member

cja1987,
    Thanks for the clarification. I really wasn't sure what a State of Emergency meant for us plowers.

I've heard 3-4" an hour late tonight and possible 50mph gusts of wind. :eek:

12. plowman777

plowman777 Senior Member

cha ching!

what are you guys charging for driveways for this storm?....i am thinking
    $75-90 in NJ up to 18"..over that all bets are off. for normal snow i charge $50.. a few are higher.....you guys get less up there i think.

:redbounce

13. sir spaniourd

it is going to be nuts. I just hope not to be tired for tomorrow's game.
    this is strange. I haven't seen any city plow yet around here and we have close to 4'' already...

14. FF279

FF279 Banned

:waving: PLease Everbody.. STAY SAFE, MAKE SURE THAT YOU HAVE A CELL PHONE(CHARGED) everbody work together tonite, if ya see a fellow plower, stop and see if he needs, help, dont forget the XM sat. radio Safe driving to all!!!.......Ryan :waving:

15. sir spaniourd

That is a good question plowman. I am also interested how much you guys charge?I am charging $10 every 2 inches. so far works for me and for my customers.

16. plowman777

plowman777 Senior Member

the $10/ 2 inches sounds good

.as long as they know before hand there isnt any arguement....i think double is good when its deep cuz you really should do it in 2 trips anyway. i think in terms of time also...if it takes 30 minutes that
    should be $90 cuz $3.00 min mimimum..actually make more during lower snowfalls per minute $3.50- $5.00

17. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

I charge per push, and try to go out every 6 inches or so. No way I'm pushing it all at once.

18. plowman777

plowman777 Senior Member

thats smart, but who wants to make 3-4 trips in one storm?.besides, its just going to drift back.

19. sodking

sodking Member

Some commercial properties we price by the inch, some by the hour, some both, all residences are by the push. Average price for a residential this storm will be well over $250.

Average condo will bill out at $2500.

20. sir spaniourd

I just came back after plowing 6"+. Came back 30 min later, and the drift brought 5" more. Does it makes sense to plow every 3 hours or so?what do you guys do?any advice?