1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snow & Ice Removal in Nashville TN

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Bryn, Oct 25, 2004.

1. Bryn

Bryn Junior Member

First I must say that I'm sorry if this sounds like a joke, or that any of the following is "rubbing it in", but I am serious aboot the questions I have.

Winter for us is fleeting, and not very cold, but being in a transition zone we do suffer from bouts of ice and snow. On average, and please hold the laughter, 12inches/year is the norm, with -13f being the lowest recorded temp. Once or twice a year we might see single digits, courtesy of the Canadian wind. Bread and milk sell out with the slightest hint of snow, and school is canceled. Some years we can go a whole winter with no problems, but most of the time we get 1-3 storms.

My business is Pest Control & Lawn Care, and have been asked by some clients if I could supply Gritting/Salt/De-Icing/Anti-Icing on their property. These people are professionals such as doctors office, and other businesses. I get asked the question I believe because I'm Canadian, as well as all the equipment I have on the trucks, such as tanks, pumps, hoses, and spreaders etc. Also a lot of this equipment is idle during the winter months, and could be put to use.

So does anyone have any suggestions about which would be the best way to setup this business? Chemicals to use, granule or liquid? Liability Insurance coverage etc.

Thanks for any suggestions, jibes, jokes, sneers, and general ribbing that you might have to offer.

Best Regards

Bryn

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

No joking or kidding.

Best way for you to go is to have a plow - "just in case". But the majority of your focus would be in Ice Control. Get a salt spreader, whether a tail gate model or a V-box, then learn about liquid anti-icer and get a tank setup. You'll start with your current customers, but soon be branching out.

Yes, you'll need added General Liability. 550/550 size truck for the deicer tanks. Learn about treated salt and application prior to a snow event.

You're in an excellent position.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2004
  3. VALLEYWIDEPA

VALLEYWIDEPA Member
    from pa

THIS IS NOT A JOKE:

i do believe tennesee and a few other states dont have plow trucks for that simple fact they hardly get any snow. you know that as well as i do that they close everything cause they see flurries and decare a state of emergency. i dont think your dr's offices have to worry about foot traffic with snow on the ground

i know this cause i lived down south for a few yrs

4. rainair

rainair Senior Member

snow in tenn

hmm I have seen deep snows in Tenn. and I was there for the big ice storm a few years ago..... no phones... no elect. and could not use card [phone lines] my grandparents lived in central Tenn..
    I DO know that tdot does have plows!
    I have seen a heavy snow in Savannah Ga [Wilmington isle] in march 1991

5. J HIsch

J HIsch Member

I know the feeling about the winter work I am in Southern Indiana not much snow here but we do get a little. What I would do is since you already have the spray tanks I would focus on contacting other contractors in your area that may just plow. Since you dont get much in the line of winter weather I am sure de-icing is not a common place. If that is the case then most contractors probably dont spend money on the equipment, therefore you could provide the service for them. But on the inside we own a couple of snowplows but I too didnt want to spend the money on a de-icing unit, but I think it would sell in this area becasue of all the freezing rain. But I am not ready to gamble!