1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snow/ice build up on wipers... Prevention??

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Plow man Foster, Nov 17, 2011.

1. Plow man Foster

Plow man Foster PlowSite.com Addict

Hey i was just wondering if anyone had any tricks or products that helped reduce or even eliminate the snow and ice build up on the truck's wipes. I hate leaning out the window when its 30 some odd degrees out and having to slam the wipers just to clear the snow and ice buildup...
  2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

3. magnum1

magnum1 Senior Member
    from ID & ND

better heater
  4. magnum1

magnum1 Senior Member
    from ID & ND

Where can I pickup a set and could you include a price sheet
  5. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

I keep a few spares ,just in case.
  6. MLG

MLG Senior Member
    from WI

One thing that helps is to put RainX on your windshield every couple weeks because that makes the snow and ice flake off way easier. Use winter wiper blades if you aren't already. Lastly, try a low temp windshield de-icer so you can just squirt a bunch on the snow/Ice and melt it. I know these aren't innovative ideas, but they help out. I just keep a scraper on my passenger's side and pull over every once in a while.
  7. magnum1

magnum1 Senior Member
    from ID & ND

beach front shack in Cancun
  8. magnum1

magnum1 Senior Member
    from ID & ND

Holy Crap Batman we can't just monkey around :laughing::laughing:
  9. second income

second income Member

RRain X latitudes work very well. They are expensive but worth every dime. Use Rain X winter formula in your washer bottle as well.
  10. KLC99

KLC99 Senior Member

I have seen heated wiper blades but can't remember where...
    Had the delay wipers get screwed up on a truck once and the stop point was halfway up - that actually worked pretty nicely
  11. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

I realize this probably won't be the most popular response, but that recycled coffee is good for a lot more than just writing your name in the snow. I only recommend that you close your window first before turning on the wipers.
  12. Ford Guy

Ford Guy Member

13. BPS#1

BPS#1 2000 Club Member

That is nasty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And I'd fire some one who did that with my equipment.
  14. Plow man Foster

Plow man Foster PlowSite.com Addict

Hahahah I would be pissed if someone poured coffee on my windshield.....
    but i have heard RainX works well!
    Still open to any open suggestions though!

Do not think he was talking of pouring it more like squirting it,after drinking it you know recycled coffee
  16. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

I was thinking of posting heated washer fluid (you can buy kits), but heated blades sounds even better.

Also, rain-x the blades themselves to discourage snow from sticking...and be sure to use beam-style blades, or at least those awful rubber boot covered "winter" frame blades that don't wipe well in any conditions.
  17. grassmowerman

grassmowerman Junior Member
    from Indiana

Has anyone experimented with fluid film on windshield for snow and ice.
  18. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

19. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

I kind of figured that would be someones response, but the truth of the matter, despite what your mother may have taught you, it is in fact sterile. Aside from the higher temp, it also contains salts & urea, which gives at least 3 melting properties. Historically at times of war & for dwellers in the bush, it works as an antiseptic for wound care. Indian tribes including Eskimo's often times use it as a means of tanning & waterproofing their hides or skins. I wasn't suggesting to make a habit of it, but in an emergency situation it works & could save your life.

What's really nasty, is touching public surfaces like door handles, faucets, pressing the button on a soft drink dispenser or ATM machine, using someone's pen, or even shaking hands. Those surfaces have every bacteria you can imagine & that is usually how people get sick & spread virus. If you want to really see whats nasty, take a black light into a restroom or a hotel room (high end, doesn't matter) with the room dark, that will put nasty into perspective really fast.
  20. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

Despite what internet factoids and Bear Grylls meme pics tell you, "sterile" is not the be-all and end-all of safety and non-grossness...it just means nothing is living in it. Sterility alone does not preclude poisons, corrosive agents, etc. Urine from a healthy person with a healthy diet is not going to have anything poisonous in it but it is corrosive (just ask someone with split streams and decorative metal furniture right next to their toilet)...though that wouldn't matter in the grand scheme of things when saltwater is thrown on your truck all night anyway.

I'd be more concerned about the smell. Besides stinking up the outside of the truck (which is likely to be rinsed by road saltwater), if your HVAC system gets its intake at the cowl you could potentially end up with a nasty smelling heater.