1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

snow/ice and traction??

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mr.plow, Oct 13, 2005.

1. mr.plow

mr.plow Member
    from Toronto

This is my first winter with my new 2005 F550 4x4. How are the tires for grip in the snow/ice conditions? do you recomend that I get a good set of snow tires, or are the continetals good enough? For plowing or for just driving, thanks. Let it be known that I will have the 8611 plow on the front for added weight and I have a 3000 pound dump box if that makes a difference in the snow. Comments pleas.:)
  2. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

As long as there is ballast (weight) in the dump box you'll be fine in 2WD. The only time we put our dump trucks in 4X4 is when thry're almost out of salt.
  3. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Uh oh, here we go again. LMAO

snowmatt's correct though. Put some ballast in it, the more the better. The Conti's are medicroe at best. I'd like to get some Cooper's M&S for my 550's but I don't think they make them in the 19.5's.

Our 1 550 has a dump box\spreader combo that unless we are pulling out loading docks with, we don't need 4WD, sometimes even empty. The other just has a front and back blade and needs the 4WD pretty much all the time.
  4. finnegan

finnegan Senior Member

yeah for ballast you could use those water bags that they use for ingound swimming pools 8lbs. per gallon and once they freeze your all set:waving:
  5. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

You mean ShurTrax?
  6. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

As the current owner of 3 F-550's, with another on the way, the Continental tires aren't what you are most likely used to if you are comming from a 3/4 or 1 ton. They are O.k. in the snow but they get virtually no grip on hardpack snow. I don't know if it is due to the "flat" profile or if they are made of a harder rubber compound than conventional tires, but there is definitely a difference. We still run em, but they could be better.
  7. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

They kinda suck especially seem to on ice and hard snow. The pluss is you can weight the heck outa the 550(being its already a fat lady to begin with your ok) and that will make you pretty managable.
  8. finnegan

finnegan Senior Member

yeh thats right almost forgot to mention theres acompany that makes bladders for trucks for wintertime traction www.shurtrax.comthanks for reminding me mark;)