1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snow Hogg snow blower.....

Discussion in 'ATV / UTV Snow Removal' started by Humvee27, Dec 20, 2008.

1. Humvee27

Humvee27 Senior Member

Last edited: Dec 20, 2008
  2. Dodge2

Dodge2 Member
    from ottawa

3. sublime68charge

sublime68charge PlowSite.com Addict

Nice looking Unit I like the Mounting to the Rear Hitch, and the UP/Down on the blower aspect.

I just wonder how it does when your trying to make a turn with the ATV. It has the Skid's instead of wheels and I wonder how well that works.

I know my Kimpex makes turning an adventure and that Has free rotating 9" solid tires. It hard to turn when blowing snow cause your turning the ATV into the snow which cause traction problems I just wonder how it does for turning on cleared ground?

thanks for posting.

sublime out.

4. skywagon

skywagon Senior Member

We are getting a lot of snow rite now and may need to dig out my tractor with blower.:D:D:D

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii60/skywagon12/100_0006-3.jpg

5. Dodge2

Dodge2 Member
    from ottawa

:nod:Nice tractor:nod:

6. sublime68charge

good looking tractor Skywagon,

when your driving a JD there is no room for fear.

you have chains for that thing at all?

every get stuck with it?

http://memimage.cardomain.com/ride_images/1/2139/4661/5347330214_large.jpg

there's my Snow Blower just hooked it up for the first time this season yesterday.

all went well till about 30 minutes into use I broke the drive Belts from the Motor to the Blower.

da wife went and got me new belts for it I just need to find the time to get them installed.
    will probaly be the day I have another 10" on the ground and need to blow the snow away instead of plow it.

sublime out.

7. skywagon

skywagon Senior Member

Thanks Lime! never get stuck and no chains, it is 4 wheel drive and has diff lock so have never got stuck.:D:D:D

Nice blower you got for the 4x4, now you need a cab, I have a cab for my rancher that works great, keeps wind out. Since I got the cab on the Rhino i have not put it on the rancher this season yet.xysport

8. sublime68charge

I have a Cab, Just haven't found the time to put it on the ATV yet.

though I might be doing that tomorrow. suppose to get 3-4" tongiht and then temp tomorrow is gonna be in the teens if it is that cold I'll be putting the cab on before I go out to plow.

I have a somewhat heated garage to work on things. can maintain a temp of about 40degrees above what the outside temp is, so if its 20 I can get her up to 60 and if it's near zero I can maintain 40.

good enough to work on stuff with bare hand's and a sweatshirt or 2.

Where brand of cab due you have mine is a ATV Bug Cab Deluxe, Still in the Box.

http://www.atvcabs.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=46&Itemid=55

subime out.

9. skywagon

skywagon Senior Member

Ya, we got around 8 inches today and will get another 4-5 by tomarrow nite, temp dropping fast now 8 above with strong wind so around 0 wind chill. Here is a pic of my rancher cab, its just a cheap $189 classic that we bought on sale at Sportsman's warehouse for $89. Keeps the wind off but I hate the zippered doors. On the Rhino we have regular doors like on my Curtis tractor cab with good latches.:D:D:D http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii60/skywagon12/myplowGary-2.jpg

Last edited: Dec 20, 2008
  10. Humvee27

Humvee27 Senior Member

Sublime,
    yeah...I can see how you had to haul out the snowblower....I'm finishing the rear blade for both my truck and atv then onto the snowblower for the atv...think a 15 to 20 horse honda will work? your's looks like the ticket, especially if it keeps snowing around here in WI like it has been...lol..

Skywagon,
    if I had that Deere I wouldn't be plowing with the atv...ok, maybe I would, never mind....lol.....anyway, nice deere.

11. sublime68charge

12. Humvee27

Humvee27 Senior Member

got any pics of the rear ATV Blade?

Not yet but I'm working on it...I'll get some tomorrow and post it for ya.....

I know I'm gonna have to lock out the Front Suppension of the ATV was thiniking of something like the Swisher Plow mount system that Holds the A arm's at a set distance apart which would limit the amount of down travel of the front suppension.

I got my swisher mount for the atv if you need pics, I'll take some for ya.....The only thing I'm changing about it is the bolts are hanging down inside of up....I'll be changing that over.

and Hijacking this thread

must be cause I just spent the last 2 hours plowing snow in below Zero weather.
    wasn't 2 bad cause I put my soft Cab on the ATV.

sublime out.[/QUOTE]

No problem, I was out for a couple hours too...it sucked today..betcha that cab was nice today...lol :).

13. sublime68charge

yes it was, I was warmer plowing snow on the ATV then when I was shoveling the Snow by hand.
    that does not happen very often where you can sit and be warmer then when doing manual labor.
    here's a small pic of my ATV and cab I have Bigger pics in the atv with Pics thread.

[​IMG]

thanks for the offer of the swisher pics when I get around to the project I'll keep that in mind. though from there web site I got the general idea of how there system mounts I was just gonna fab up my own system to due the same time.
    though if its not to much trouble some pics up close of the A arm mount would be nice.

thanks again sublime out

14. Reb

Reb Senior Member
    from Wyoming

I hope I'm not butting in but from my experience a back blade doesn't work very well for moving snow, at least not on an ATV. I tried that back when I first built my ag. system. I even tried a scarifier to break up ice, it didn't work very well.

Through the years I have come to the conclusion that while snowplows work well for moving snow it doesn't move dirt or gravel. Back blades work well for moving dirt and gravel but aren't worth a darn for moving snow.

It will be interesting to see if either of you have better results.

15. Humvee27

Humvee27 Senior Member

though if its not to much trouble some pics up close of the A arm mount would be nice.

thanks again sublime out[/QUOTE]

Here ya go...:)

Well, hopefully I can tell you your wrong ;) about that but who knows....I'm just planning on using the back blade for moving snow away from garages and for sidewalks.....I'm building more of a snow box to pull the snow away where I can just drop it....

a arm on atv 005.jpg

a arm on atv 002.jpg

16. Humvee27

Humvee27 Senior Member

some more for ya

a arm on atv 001.jpg

a arm on atv 006.jpg

Last edited: Dec 22, 2008
  17. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

I've seen the suspension lockout kits before, I'd be concerned that the kit doesn't apply to much force on the arm mount tabs on the frame from the change in force applied by the kit.

18. sublime68charge

I guess my rough Idea was with the blower on front and the blade on the rear "was gonna put side wings on also" for smaller snow's under 6" pull all the snow to a small pile use the blower to send the pile into the yard. for over 6" just use the blower and take full width passes and then use the blade to scrap all the dribblings to a pile and then blow that into the yard.

but your saying the back blade dosn't scrap or pull the the snow very good?
    are you able to put down pressure on your back blade?

thanks for the thought's
    like I said this is all just in my head at the moment.

sublime out.

19. Reb

Reb Senior Member
    from Wyoming

I can apply down pressure on my ag. system but that pressure is variable. I can go as little as the weight of the implement or up to 200 lbs. plus the weight of the implement. I found with pulling snow it was like throwing out an anchor, where it dug in is where you stayed. I also never used any chains and just had the factory tires on so that could help.

It will be interesting to see if it works for you guys and if it does, what you did different from me that made it work.

You can see in my pictures how I apply the down pressure. I also have a back blade and box scraper which aren't shown in my pictures.

20. sublime68charge

Reb are you plowing on hard surfaces or on gravel
    What I plan on plowing will be hard surface's

Humvee27
    Thanks for the Pics that gives me a great reference point.

thanks again.