1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snow Hauling - MN

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by 4SeasonsOutdoor, Sep 23, 2009.

1. 4SeasonsOutdoor

4SeasonsOutdoor Junior Member
    from mn

I'm in the east metro and I have to questions -
    1. How do you estimate hauling snow when there gets to be too much snow that there is no more room around the lot?
    2. Where is a dump site to put the snow?
    Also, I've used the search function but didn't find info.
    Thanks

2. cleansweep007

cleansweep007 Senior Member

Normally we charge by the hour for a operator for your loader, plus charge by the hour for dump truck operator. That is how my company charges for haul away. Normally you are going to take it to your own site to dump it if the city doesn't have a designated place for it.
    I hope this helps !!

3. snowman55

snowman55 PlowSite.com Addict

dump sites are a problem nobody wants it (fluids and trash and salt) i have found a couple sites thru businesses we work with and pay them a lease for the land. guessing how much is tough billed all hourly and guess how many loads and how long to run a load plus per load cost for the dumpsite. we have been doing this so long i can look at piles and guess how many loads pretty close.

had 1 cust dispute bill she said the 4 dump trucks were only here for 15 minutes but you billed me 6 hrs. oh where do you think the snow went? the alley behind your building?

4. AiRhed

AiRhed Senior Member

Six hours! The back alley? Why, I thought you just returned to sender? "Dear g0d, here's your snow back....thanks, snowman55."

5. snowman55

snowman55 PlowSite.com Addict

needless to say i don't do that lot anymore. some people will just never "get" what it is we provide and better of just not dealing with them

6. Kollen Parsons

Kollen Parsons Junior Member

Dump Sites are like gold! Try calling a City Street Department in your area......When you get the call back, like I have, they are usually laughing. I've had city street dept guys ask me to call them if I find one because they are out of space. I've had other city guys tell stories of dumping at DOT sites and having to return to get "thier" snow.

I was just lucky In the past and have been able to utilize city dumps.

Network:
    Try the standard landfills. They, at times, will take in snow. Keep and eye out while servicing your customers. Sometimes another vendor will have a place or a customer willing to let snow be hauled in. Also try contacting local excavation companies or farmers. Stop and talk to property owners that appear to have extra space. Everyone could use some extra money right now.

Another option is snow melters. Contact a company that has this equipment or if you are able to afford it....buy it! They aren't cheap. Locally the airports and large commercial sites are eating these up.

We are at 89% of the snowfall average in Metro MN right now. The majority of our customers are out of space and the odds of finding a dump site slim to none.

GOOD LUCK!

7. qualitycut

qualitycut PlowSite Fanatic

Check craigslist. also I posted a link on the mn weather thread there was a place in roseville taking snow. I saw another in maple grove also.

8. Deershack

Deershack Senior Member

There are a couple of ads on Craigslist for dump sites. I also know of one on the E.side of St.Paul.

9. mnz28

mnz28 Member

Dump all the snow in the metrodome?

Last edited: Jan 1, 2011
  10. KLACOE

KLACOE Junior Member

Deershack, can you tell me more info on the St Paul dump site you know about. Thanks Kurt

11. Deershack

Deershack Senior Member

Send me your Email address.

12. Deershack

Deershack Senior Member

Send your Email again. I lost it when I clicked the wrong button.

13. ryde307

ryde307 PlowSite Veteran

If just starting hauling is easiest charged Hourly. Loader hours + trucking hours= total price. You can ask the customer if they have a budget to not go over or do some math and get a ballpark Number for them.
    As for dump sites I know little about the east metro but we have 2-3 in the west metro. You can try cities but most will tell you to get lost. Because of the amount of snow dump prices are way up and distance traveled is up also. We have been hauling out of Minneapolis out west 1hr 20 min round trip and thats short for some people. If you need sites on the west side let me know we have lots of room.

14. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

I've got a site in Fargo. $10/load, bring it on up :)

15. DCS MN

DCS MN Senior Member

My clients have had me do it one of two ways:
    By the hour or by the yard. By the yard is much more profitable. I use 40 yard dumpsters (usually over weight) and go like hell.
    I have three dump sites: west metro, 694/100 area and north.

16. adan

adan Member

Dump truck rate (2 hour min) + machine rate to load (whatever your min is)