1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snow freezing to blade....

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by old skool, Dec 9, 2009.

1. old skool

old skool Senior Member
    from NW IL

Does anyone have any tips on what to do to keep snow/ice from freezing onto the face of my steel bladed, Boss 8.2 V? I have tried wax, silicone spray, etc, but still freezing by end of day.

Anyone ever use a poly blade skin? Other ideas?

2. farmer1009

farmer1009 Junior Member

What I did with mine was sand donw the surface, and then once it was good and smooth I primed it and then painted it with Imron commercial paint. If it is sprayed correctly it will create a mirror surface that is highly resistant to scratching, and helps keep the snow from freezing to the blade. I also wax my blade after every night of plowing, and try to keep 2-5 coats of wax on it.

3. old skool

old skool Senior Member
    from NW IL

I may try paint before next years season, The plow is just starting its second season and the original paint looks a little scuffed, but almost new. . Maybe its just co-incidence, but snow sure seems to freeze to it more than my old 9' Meyer. Other than that I love the plow!

4. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

I painted my plows with Imron paint Its fantastic!!! The paint is plastic and snow Will NOT stick to it.
    I have since sold those plows.

5. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Is the blade cold or warm when you start?

6. getrdunn

getrdunn Junior Member

I may try and spray with silicone and see if that does anything. The way my luck has been going lately it will stick even more. The imron sounds pretty cool but something to do over the off season.

7. welded wrenches

welded wrenches Senior Member

sticky moldboard..going plastic...

hi ya skip the plastic....get a used piece of 309-L food grade stainless n use thatr for a molboard liner ..tack eld the top a tack wel the sides and let the cuting edge hold the bottom on......plasticsuxx.com maybe take tail ehaust to exit at plow to melt it..oh oh juss follow 1 them cars with the fart cannon muffler...mayb that be a little stink e or stickee though..he he...

8. YPLLLC

YPLLLC Senior Member

Use Fluid Film!!!!! It works for us.

9. old skool

old skool Senior Member
    from NW IL

Ive thought of that, Its warm, but this morning when I started plowing, it wasnt a problem. I had just waxed the plow over the weekend, and actually sprayed it with Fluid Film (first time - I had always used silicone in the past) before starting. The 6" snow was VERY wet, temps outside were in upper 20's. But as day got colder this afternoon, and we got 3 more inches of dryer snow, that's was when it was freezing to the blade..

I think part of today' s situation was, this morning, the base snow was wet, ground not frozen, air temp in 20's, = no problem.. Then as the air temp dropped this afternoon, and the base snow is still wet and the FF was worn off, it gave me that "tongue on the fencepost" syndrome.

Another thing I've noticed that doesnt help is the cutting bar must be about 1/2" thick. It actually gives the snow a "ledge" to set on.

Thanks for the input so far!

Last edited: Dec 10, 2009
  10. old skool

old skool Senior Member
    from NW IL

BTW, how much Fluid Film, and how long before plowing is recommended? I picked up a sample can at a truck show earlier this summer, maybe not enough?

Last edited: Dec 10, 2009