1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snow for Southern Ontario

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by wyldman, Mar 4, 2003.

1. wyldman

wyldman Member

Were going to get hit again,late tonight into Wednesday.Will move on to the Maritimes afterwards.Here is the bulletin.

HEAVY SNOW ON TAP FOR TONIGHT INTO WEDNESDAY.

THIS IS A WARNING THAT HEAVY SNOW IS IMMINENT OR
    OCCURRING IN THESE REGIONS. MONITOR WEATHER
    CONDITIONS..LISTEN FOR UPDATED STATEMENTS.

A DEVELOPING LOW FROM OKLAHOMA IS EXPECTED TO TRACK NORTHEAST TODAY REACHING LAKE ERIE OVERNIGHT. SNOW FROM THIS LOW IS EXPECTED TO SPREAD INTO SOUTHWESTERN ONTARIO BEGINNING LATE THIS AFTERNOON AND INTO REMAINING REGIONS OF THE FORECAST DISTRICT THIS EVENING.

THE SNOW IS EXPECTED TO BECOME HEAVY AT TIMES TONIGHT ESPECIALLY IN A BAND OF REGIONS EXTENDING FROM LAKE ST CLAIR AND SARNIA NORTHEAST ACROSS HURON-BRUCE AND WATERLOO-WELLINGTON-DUFFERIN TO THE MUSKOKA..BARRIE..AND THE NORTHERN HALF OF THE GOLDEN HORSESHOE AREA. GENERAL SNOWFALL AMOUNTS OF 15 TO 25 CENTIMETRES LIKELY BY WEDNESDAY MORNING WITH THIS LOW.

AREAS NEAR THE NORTH SHORE OF LAKE ERIE INTO NIAGARA WILL BE CLOSER TO THE TRACK OF THIS LOW..AND WILL GET UNDER A BAND OF FREEZING RAIN AND ICE PELLETS AS THE LOW REACHES LAKE ERIE. SOME RAIN IS ALSO POSSIBLE IN REGIONS WHERE TEMPERATURES EDGE JUST ABOVE THE FREEZING MARK. PRECIPITATION WILL CHANGE BACK TO SNOW WEDNESDAY AS MUCH COLDER ARCTIC RETURNS TO SOUTHERN ONTARIO IN THE WAKE OF THE LOW.

MOTORISTS ARE ADVISED TO EXERCISE EXTREME CAUTION. DRIVING CONDITIONS WILL DETERIORATE BEGINNING THIS EVENING AND WILL BECOME DANGEROUS DUE TO HEAVY SNOW AND FREEZING RAIN.

THE SNOW WILL MOVE OUT LATER ON WEDNESDAY AS THE LOW RACES OFF TO NEW ENGLAND AND THE MARITIMES.

PLEASE REFER TO THE LATEST PUBLIC FORECASTS FOR FURTHER DETAILS

2. Nova

Nova Member

3. Bonzai

Bonzai Member

Enough already, I must admit I am getting sick and tired of snow. How about you Chris. Customers are starting to get pissed about all their salt bills, like it is somehow our fault it has snowed so much. Everything we do is under contract and we have already been out 40 times this year. It`s starting to hurt a little. Barely have time to repair the trucks and we are out again. Please bring on the spring.:cool: :realmad:

4. dan deutekom

dan deutekom Member

I am paid per push. Bring it on!:D Been hauling all week and now my clients will see why we had to haul instead of letting it melt.;)

5. wyldman

wyldman Member

I don't mind the snow,I actually like it.I get kinda bored if there is no snow,and end up hanging around here all day. :D

The salt bills have been up there,I think we've been out close to 40 times too,maybe more.Not too many complainers about the salt bills,except for the smallers firms who have a hard time budgeting for that kinda stuff.

We haven't had too many breakdowns this year,only one bad week where we had quite a few,and lost two motors in one of our International salters.It has it's benefits being able to repair my own equipment in house.

We've been hauling and stacking a lot too.Thought I was gonna get reamed because I pushed selling the stacking and removal work due to the fact we were expecting a lot of low pressure systems to dump snow in early March,and we needed the room after the last big one.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2003
  6. fordman

fordman Senior Member

I have to admit I'm ready for spring as well. This has been a fairly expensive winter for me. Also I'm in the same boat as Bonzai, several of my clients have gone over their snow removal budgets for the season and aren't to happy about that. Like Bonzai said bring on the spring.

7. C&D LANDSCAPING

C&D LANDSCAPING Junior Member

I agree, bring on spring. I have been out 43 times this year, just don't have anywhere left to put the snow. It's a hard sell to talk people in to hauling snow in march so please bring on spring.

Corey

8. butter

butter Junior Member

Bring on the snow. I'm paid hourly at one of my huge contracts, so maybe this will give them the push they need to go seasonal(been trying for a couple years now) as this winter is gonna be expensive. I have to remove all snow from the premisses, after each snow fall, as there is no room for parking or shipping and receiving(company runs 24/7). Allready hauled snow out 5 times runnin 2 tri-axles and a loader for on average7-8hours each time.:eek: The salting this year has been awesome except for getting up pretty much every morning and checking things out. Looks like we're making up for last years crappy season:drinkup:

9. CMLLawnservices

CMLLawnservices Junior Member

Bring it on, I can`t wait for spring, but if we get more snow i`d take it ,:D i`ve got the tractor and blower fired up and sled will be waitin when i get back from blowin.:D I hope we get 2 feet

10. wyldman

wyldman Member

Update

We had about 6-8 " inches last night,just got in from opening everything up.We started at 2 am,Supposed to get another inch or two before it tapers off this evening.

Had quite a few guys go home early due to stomach flu,had a hard time finding enough drivers.Will have to go out again tonight to clean it all up,should be done by morning.

How did everyone else make out ?

11. cutntrim

cutntrim PlowSite.com - Veteran

Finished round #1 at 1:00pm. Waiting for my supplier (Ontario Salt Services) to deliver 4 more skids. Back out tonight for cleanup/salt run. Loader work to do as well. No more room for snow on most lots.

12. fordman

fordman Senior Member

I was out plowing for a little over 12 hours today. It was a pretty good storm ended up with about 8-10" inches. However it looks like I'm going to have to use some of the money I made to try and fix my truck. It looks like it's still f*@#ed up from my wheel stud problem/accident.:realmad:

13. butter

butter Junior Member

Went out at 2am and just got in and done 11pm. Salt tomorrow morning and clean-up parking lot after shift change as everybody seemed to park all wonky. Start removing snow tomorrow night, should be another 6-7 hour session. Ready for the next one, bring it on.:cool:

14. Nova

Nova Member

24 hours later and I'm done. :D

Started 3am, had to do my residentials twice, didn't come home till 7pm, had a few hours sleep and went back out to clean the ends of the drives.

Sidewalk plows still haven't gone through yet, so I'll probably have to clean up after those later on today.

Seems like this year Richmond Hill has been lacking with the sidwalk plows, I never seem them out at night and they usually don't finish till a couple of days after. Not good since I'm on seasonal contracts.

Time to get some sleep!

15. dan deutekom

dan deutekom Member

Went out at 4:30 am and finished up at 11:30 pm. Had to do the first half of my run twice because of the storm not ending until about noon and going back to the commercial accounts to clean up. An interesting note in Peterborough is that one of the local plowers has been charged under the noise bylaw for plowing at night. He is not a scrub with old equipment. His trucks are new fords and well maintained. It has made the front pages of the local papers here.

16. hardscaper

hardscaper Member
    from usa

richmond hill

It looks like Richmond hill is looking for people to handle their snow removal on sidewalks if any of you guys are interested, here's the post (I'm in the US or I would take care of it)For Six (6) Snow Clearing Machines for Sidewalk Snow Clearing
    THE CORPORATION OF THE TOWN OF RICHMOND HILL, Reference TW-12-03
    Originally posted on: 2003/02/24
    Closing date: Thursday, March 13, 2003, at 2:00:00 P.M., Local Time
    Prequalification required: No;
    Keywords: Richmond Hill Snow
    Details:

DESCRIPTION
    FOR THE PROVISION OF SIX (6) SNOW CLEARING MACHINES, INCLUSIVE OF ATTACHMENTS REQUIRED TO CARRY OUT SIDEWALK SNOW CLEARING ON DESIGNATED MUNICIPAL SIDEWALKS LOCATED WITHIN THE TOWN OF RICHMOND HILL

Fee: $20.00 Non-Refundable (GST Included) Certified Cheque, Cash or Interac Only

Documents may be picked up or viewed on or after 2:00:00 p.m., Wednesday, February 26, 2002 at the Municipal Offices, 6th Floor, Finance/Supplies & Services Branch, 225 East Beaver Creek Road, Richmond Hill, Ontario.

Contact information:

THE CORPORATION OF THE TOWN OF RICHMOND HILL
    225 EAST BEAVER CREEK ROAD
    RICHMOND HILL
    Phone: 905-771-2491
    Fax: 905-771-2409
    lhutchings@richmondhill.ca

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

17. Nova

Nova Member

Well that would explain it! :p

18. wyldman

wyldman Member

I saw that tender in the paper.I also heard they are putting together a program for homeowners wher they pay something like 50.00 per year,and the city hires contractors to clear the snow off the driveway aprons after the plows come by.They are supposedly looking for contractors for the program.

I went back out last night at 6 pm and finished everything up just before 8 am this morning.Look like will we have some more stacking to do to make room for more snow.

They are now calling for some light snow Friday afternoon,and possibly a good storm for Saturday night.Will it ever stop ? :D

I finally pryed the digital cam away from the wife,and got a few pics last night,will post some later.

19. dan deutekom

dan deutekom Member

From the sounds of things I better get out stacking and hauling on Friday:D Hard to believe this is March. I usually only count on 1 plow this month, and it has to be done quick so that it isn't melted before I reach the end of my route!

20. CMLLawnservices

CMLLawnservices Junior Member

we got about about 10-12 inches here i`m about 3 hours southwest of you guys in toronto. had to do most of my clients twice cuz the plow had`t gone by when i went out the first time.