1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snow for NY and CT

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by CT18fireman, Dec 7, 2000.

1. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Just woke up and saw the weather. A couple inches are predicted for tomorrow. I will be heading home to CT from MA today. Got to be prepared.

2. thelawnguy

thelawnguy PlowSite.com Addict

Latest is, dusting in the valleys, up to 2 inches in the hills. I doubt there will be anything, dewpoint is too low (air is too dry).

But, the plow will go on nonetheless, just for appearances sake.

3. SLC1

SLC1 Senior Member

Auctually I hope it doesn't snow until late next week, we are just finishing up our cleanups and hanging decorations at all the accounts, leaf boxes are still on and only one sander is on. I could be ready in a few hours but I would rather not be rushed. The loader and pusher are ready but Dino is coming down on Monday to help put the new edge on the pusher, so right now I have only one sander on and four plows ready. But I will do what I have to do, to get everything done. Just MY two cents

4. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

nothing for north of boston just on the cape.

5. thelawnguy

About an inch as of now, maybe another inch before its done (according to radar)? Its very light and fluffy though. Maybe Ill try a leaf blower on the walks, at least later this am Ill get to try my new U edge!

6. snow

snow PlowSite.com Veteran

Woke up to a dusting, just enough to cover the grass and cars. One of the bigger contractors L9000 w/ permanent sander went by me while waiting for the bus. On the waqy to school I saw a lot of people with sanders and even some with plows. I didn't expect anything, it's still light snowing now. Nothing will accumulate, which is good for me because i need to fix my snowblower and get my magic salt.

Bryan

7. thelawnguy

Ended up with 2 inches, got my 30 drives/walks and 3 lots done in 11 hours. Ill take these 2 inchers all week long!

Got to use my urethane edge also, quite frankly I dont see any difference over the steel edge except quieter, and by the looks of things it will outlast the steel ege by lots and lots. Plowed all day and the sharp edge barely wore down. Maybe 1/4 inch flat wore into the attack angle.

8. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

Gee Bryan,

I would put the tractor on hold, and get going on your snowblower. Now I understand why your parents so no more equipment. I am sure if the Snowblower was running they would be more understanding, or I know I would. Only if they say no to a tractor, what are they going to think about an 8' metal plow sitting in the yard and a big truck to move it?

Anyways get that snowblower running asap, you will need it soon.

Geoff

9. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

We had 1 1/2" to 2".I plowed and salted all commercial accounts.Probably have to go put some sand out tonight since its going down to 10degrees,it'll likely refreeze

10. snow

snow PlowSite.com Veteran

Geoff-

The snowblowe that's in repair is my single stage snapper. My ariens snowblower works great, i did our driveway last night with it. If we had a bigger garage, my parents would let me fill it up. I will be looking for a storage yard next year where i can have a salt bin and a bay for equipment. I might get the tractor this spring because one of my friends at the fd wants to team up with me, and he could be plowing driveways with the tractor while i use the truck on other accounts. Our town is doing leaves today, kinda weird with snow on the ground.

Bryan

11. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

Bryan, slow down bud.

There is one key thing you must remember Insurance.

The cost for you to insure your truck with a plow is going be at least $ 1000.00 a year.

If you rent a yard someplace you will need insurance, even more money.

If you team up with your friend you will need workers comp for him, more money.

You will need liablity insurance that will run you at least 500 bucks a year.

If you rent a yard you will need to pay rent. Do your self a favor, keep the tractor out side. Buy salt from a supply yard, so you don't have to store it. Then as your insurance cost goes down, and you get more jobs, start to look at renting again.

You got big dreams man, but don't dig into deep, till ya know whats going on. You haven't even logged 1 hour behind the wheel of a plow truck yet, you may hate it.

Keep up the good work though.

Geoff