1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snow For Mass. Mon-tues-wed a.m. UPDATE!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Hummerslawncare, Feb 26, 2005.

1. Hummerslawncare

Hummerslawncare Member
    from Mass.

Complements Of Channel 7 Whdh Weather Div.
    Monday
    Clouding up early, with the leading edge of a storm moving in during the afternoon. Very tough to call. Starts as snow everywhere, then milder air may push in, turning the Cape to mix/rain, but I'm leaning towards mostly a snow event. Temps start out cold, in the teens/20s and warm to highs at night in the upper 20s (inland) to mid 30s (Cape). Winds increase E 10-20 mph.
    Monday Night
    Bulk of the snow hits during this timeframe.
    Areas that start as snow may briefly turn to mix rain as warmer air nudges in from the south and east. North and west spots most likely to stay as snow and hence, have the most accumulation. Temps steady or rising a couple degrees. Upper 20s to upper 30s.
    Tuesday
    Any spots that turned to rain or mix...may turn back to snow as colder air drags in on the back side of the storm. Wraparound effect may bring some heavy bands, but overall, a tapering to light snow
    Very Intresting this one all us Plowers in Ma. Have to watch this over the weekend
    1) The Cold -- A big snowstorm relies on sufficiently cold temps. Looks like we will have a dome of high pressure and cold air in place Monday morning. How long is stays in place is at issue. For now, looks like the storm will initially start as snow most everywhere (wetter snow on the Cape/Islands).

(2) The Track --
    INLAND: The storm that's currently in the Gulf may take an inland track through the Southeast US...along or inland of the Mid-Atlantic Coast...and along or inland through New England. If this happens, the storm will not be able to tap as much Atlantic moisture and it will also likely bump the really cold air out. The result, snow to start...then warming temps turning to mix then rain. If this pans out, the Cape could see an inch or two of snow, then mostly rain thereafter. Boston could see a few inches of wet snow, then some sleet, followed by rain. Worcester to Orange into inland Northern New England would have the best shot of staying all snow and getting the biggest snowfall totals. A ballpark guestimate would be 6-12" The inland solution would also limit the impact of strong winds with the low not strengthening as much.

COASTAL: If the storm moves out to sea in the Southeast and follows slightly offshore up the Mid-Atlantic and New England coast, we'll be dealing with a Nor'easter with the potential for more wind, more snow, and overall a bigger storm. The cold air would be harder to scour out. The low would be stronger and the moisture it wraps in would be higher. More moisture at colder temps would result in more snow for everyone. If the storm were to stay offshore throughout as it passes southeast of Nantucket, all-snow or mainly snow would be a more realistic option. The duration of the storm might be longer as well, with lingering wrap-around snow through Tuesday and flurries and clouds through Wednesday. If this pans out, a moderate to heavy snowfall is within reason for most spots....fair to say Winter Storm Warnings would be necessary for the potential of at least 6".

2. gordyo

gordyo Senior Member

Well I for one have had enough snow for one year so since I am on the coast of Mass. I hope we see senerio number #2

3. tomv420

tomv420 Junior Member

It hasnt really been alot of snow in mass this year

havent really plowed all that much this year.

4. JPLTrucking

JPLTrucking Member

Woo Hoo! Bring it on!!!

payup

Last edited: Feb 26, 2005
  5. davidrbean

davidrbean Member

Send some of it to rockville md !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :drinkup: :drinkup: payup

6. johntwist

johntwist Senior Member

As good as January was, there have been alot of let-downs in February.

First there was the "up to 18 inches" that ended up being rain. :angry:
    Then there was the 6 to 10 that ended up being about 2 to 3.
    At least the one on Friday was around 6 inches.

This one could be a real money maker if it's 12", a nice way to close out the season. Wet or dry snow, it still means multiple pushes and more money. I hope I'm out all night Monday and most of Tuesday.

Baby needs a new pair of shoes...............

7. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

I'll take a big one this time. We have had 2" all Feb.
    You only plow a blade full at a time regardless how much comes down. Lots of hours in the big ones. Let's hope it gives us something to push.

8. limargie25

limargie25 Guest

It seems that everytime they mention a chance/change to rain on the Cape this year it has been snow. We have been pounded this year and as much as I might be a little sick of the snow I'm definately not sick of receiving those checks. payup What the HE77 bring on another one. :dizzy:

9. Rappa

Rappa Member

I will take winter all year long. Work one day a week? How can you beat that?

10. tomv420

tomv420 Junior Member

Snow stinks bring on spring

I make alot more money delivering dirt and grading dirt with my 1980 thomas skid steer then I do plowing for mass highway with my f800 12 foot plow.

11. gordyo

gordyo Senior Member

Huh?? I have recieved a total of 93.1 inches so far this year on the North Shore how can you not have plowed that much??

On Edit: Ahh I see you plow for Mass Highway so the little storms you must not get called out for?

12. johntwist

johntwist Senior Member

I wish I could work for Mass Highway. Who do you have to be related to or get on your knees in front of to get that job??? Or is it contributing a certain amount to the campaign of your local State Representative? I know it can't be as simple as "just apply".

13. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

They sen 2 is gonna happen

14. tomv420

tomv420 Junior Member

Mass highway needs plows

Dude I hope your kidding all you need is plow truck thats over 3/4 tons and it has to have insurance and you have to have a tax ID number for your company MASS HIGHWAY really needs more plows and you will be helping the state out if you join the effort to keep the high way clear.

15. tomv420

tomv420 Junior Member

Yea I only get called out if it more then 3 inches

It kind of stinks but thats what happens when you drive a big truck like an f800 they dont want to wast money calling you out when the sanders can just put down salt and get rid of the little amounts of snow.

16. johntwist

johntwist Senior Member

No I actually wasn't kidding but I see the misunderstanding. I meant working for them full time, you know one of the guys in the little green pickups with the blue stripes on them and the orange lights who fill the potholes and so forth. One of my buddies is a Statie and he works with them alot, says most of them are sleeping their way to a nice pension from the State and I want IN!

I wouldn't mind subbing for them like you say but my truck's a 3/4 ton so that leaves me out. When I go for my next truck I'll get a one ton and see about signing up for it. Thanks.

17. Sparky925

Sparky925 Member
    from Mass

Tomv,
    How long have you been plowing for Mass Highway ? I worked for Mass Highway for 15 years (a employee) it was good a few years ago. But now they have too many HACKS that know nothing about SNOW REMOVAL giving the orders.
    Now with having to have a NEXTEL GPS unit on at all times it is not worth it. I know of a bunch of contractors who have left and gone to work for city's or towns.

18. JPLTrucking

JPLTrucking Member

TomV, What is the hourly rate for a 1 ton for MassHighway? I get $58/hr from the city I plow for. Just wondering...

19. Sparky925

Sparky925 Member
    from Mass

Here is link for Mass Highway Snow & Ice info
    Mass Highway look at the approved hourly rate