1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snow Foil Question

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Ocean Side, Feb 26, 2006.

1. Ocean Side

Ocean Side Member

Hi I am new to Plowsite.com, I see that it is a great tool for everyone to pool ideas and learn a great deal from those with much greater experience. I would like to ask a simple question. I just purchased a new truck and the plow a MMII came with the snow foil installed. What are the benefits of this added feature and what are the draw backs. I see that it like to cause MPG to go down, compared to other plows without the foil. Your thoughts on it would be appreciated and any other tips for the novice are great as well.

2. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

Is it a rubber one or a molded steel type one? Welcome to the site. You will find many things that will help you along your way!:waving:

3. Ocean Side

Ocean Side Member

Foil

It is a steel Molded foil, Thanks for the welcome, it is nice to be apart of a great group devoted to their cutomers.

4. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping Senior Member
    from Maine

I have one on my 8ft MM2. It helps roll the snow off the blade when you are "winging" it to the side. One thing I do not like is that if you have deep or heavy snow to push and you are pushing straight the blade will come off the ground. The snow will push the foil up and you are left with a mess.

5. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

It works really well when doing lots and helps to keep lighter snow off of the windshield. If you are doing mostly residentials, it is not really helpful, but won't really hurt anything unless like stated above.

6. J29

J29 Senior Member

SnoFoil

Bwade,
    I have an 8' Fisher with the snofoil and I like it. It definitely keeps the snow off of your windshield and radiator. I rarely have the snow pick it up off of the ground. In my opinion, it helps stack the snow better, but I know some people wont agree with that. It help keeps it in front of the blade rather than going up and over it. I like the fact that it keeps it rolling off to the side. I do more street plowing than lots or driveways, so I'm sure that I may have a different take on it than the guys who do lots. Welcome to the site. Hope it helps...J.

7. Ocean Side

Ocean Side Member

Great info! Thanks for tne reply's I see why this is the #1 Site for Snow Plowing and Removal. Thanks Agian!

8. douglasl330

douglasl330 Senior Member

Bwade--Welcome--I swear by them for the type of plowing I do--Streets and small lots. If you have a long drive they work well also! if you intend on plowing shorter drives(40' or less) and thats all you will do--there may be no advantage to it! --haven't noticed a mpg drop ith it on compared to not having it on the blade