1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

SNOW FENCE anybody use??

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by happy, Dec 6, 2010.

1. happy

happy Junior Member

I am looking to reduce clearing/maintenance cost at a property that is a one price for the season type contract. ( The less were there, the more we make) It always drifts accross the entrances. I was wanting to use snow fence to control this. Has anyone used snow fence? What are the do's and don'ts? Any advice would be greatly appreciated
  2. dayexco

dayexco Senior Member

we use it on a new church we do on the edge of town...no trees, homes, etc. to stop wind...get the fence, "plastic close knit orange construction fencing works...if you "can"...get it 2 rows high, ours is only one, put it about 40-50 yards ahead of your lot if you have the room...it really helps...cure all? no. get paid for it, tell them it'll be a savings in plow time for them.
  3. cotter

cotter Senior Member
    from Ohio

Howdy neighbor!

Most of the manufacturers have fairly specific directions as to placement, google "snow fence". Like dayexco said place it well up wind (100' sticks in my mind) the snow will fill in right down wind and grow as the season goes on. Some even say to keep it 6" off the ground, if I remember correctly. If you do put it out make sure to pay attention to how it works in case you need to adjust it next year.

I have seen a few HOs around here place it 10' off their driveways, it will be FULL of snow that close. :D

4. cotter

cotter Senior Member
    from Ohio

Well now I can say that I have used the snow fence. Here are a couple of shots of the results of our recent snow, I am between Columbus and Springfield. The fence did an awesome job, the snow is about 3' deep and 15' wide behind it. The third pic is the same spot this past Feb without the fence. I had the fence and got the county to help put it up, OK they did most all the work ;) It saved them as much work as it saved me.

Looks like I have used the photo before so they won't let it load again. Here is the pic from the same spot as the first: http://www.plowsite.com/showpost.php?p=1139240&postcount=17611

Last edited: Dec 13, 2010
  5. 3bladz

3bladz Senior Member

Might help to mow that grass down.
  6. pvtben121

pvtben121 Senior Member

im in columbus were did u buy your snow fence from?
  7. cotter

cotter Senior Member
    from Ohio

Free on Craiglist :D

The problem is a 2'-3' drop off on the windward side of the road. The grass that you can see is literally ALL the grass that is there and while I would never say it has NO effect on the drift it does have a very minimal effect. I'll have to see if I have a green pic of the same streach.

8. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Sounds like a good deal...
  9. cotter

cotter Senior Member
    from Ohio

Just wanted to post a picture of the same area w/o the snow. As youy can see the road is 2-3' below both sides in places, elsewhere there is about a 30* drop off.