1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snow fall calculations

Discussion in 'Weather' started by chinups, Feb 14, 2006.

1. chinups

chinups Junior Member
    from jersey

Where do you guys find out how much snow fell at your sites????

is there a link or a website???

Thanks

2. chinups

chinups Junior Member
    from jersey

Alot of people looking but no responses..

Surely someone has to have a tool or website

Thanks again

3. Scottscape

Scottscape Senior Member

I heard accuweather has snow fall calculations. I havent been able to find them:confused: this would be a big help and proof for customers that dont believe the amount they are being charged for.

4. mmwb

mmwb Senior Member
    from wyoming

Ruler, on the lot. We may have a couple of inches difference in snow fall over a 5 mile area. Being in a mountain valley may have something to do with that, but I expect it is common elsewhere as well. Let them know up front how you determine depth. Put it in the service agreement if necessary. Don't get caught in a debate with them. Clarify that you may plow on the trigger if that depth is met ANYWHERE on the lot. Doesn't mean you have to plow if most of the lot is clear, but there is 6" drifted in one corner, but gets away from them finding a wind blown low spot and arguing with you about it. This is based more on logic and my rich experience dealing with people than my one year of dealing with cooperative and pleasant cleints. :)

5. chinups

chinups Junior Member
    from jersey

I mean I have an agreement that after inch #3 we start plowing but this wkend in jersey it was a bit nasty. We basicly got 2 ft of snow but would love to be able to send this guy to a sight if I am questioned

6. tjlands

tjlands Senior Member

7. REM

REM Junior Member

www.wunderground.com is the best site for this. I suggest you get to know the site. It's packed with useful weather info and histories. Their radar is by far the best. Go to the weather for your area, about a quarter of the way down is the "History & Almanac" section. Search by a specific date.

8. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

Site isnt too helpful for my area when it comes to snow depth. It lists 6 towns and the one with the highest accum. is 8". After all the melting i still have 14" in my yard.

9. vipereng2

vipereng2 Senior Member

i have a tool its called a measureing tape stick in the snow snap 20 inches wow that was easy

10. Snow Picasso

Snow Picasso Senior Member

I use AccuWeather, & NOAA. It all depends on who got the most for their totals. I Had NOAA at 10" one time and AccuWeather was at 4.10". Bottom line is your customer has to believe what your telling them. I bill everyone via the fax within 24 hrs. This way it's fresh in everyones minds! If they want to complain Have them check outside and look at the piles of snow you made! Also, most of the TV stations around here announce certian locations snowfall totals. I'm sure they listen to the same stuff I'm hearing.

11. tjlands

tjlands Senior Member

Yeah sure thats OK for a couple of little accounts but when one inch can cost someone $2500.00 more on their bill putting a tape in the snow isn't gonna cut it.

12. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Why not? It will tell you and your customer how much snow was in THERE lot..

Use your camera and take a pic of your tape measure in the snow at there property.

The weather service may be miles away from your account and there totals will be different than yours. But if your customer does not trust you ,then you have more problems than snow depth..

13. tjlands

tjlands Senior Member

No offense Sno but sticking a tape measure in the snow is not OK for people that spend 20-30k per season in snow removal. I service over 30 commercial clients, have never lost a commercial snow account so I would say they trust me. I use a predetermined snow monitoring service which is stated on my contracts. Just makes it easier for both parties. I deal with alot of snow companies in NJ and it is pretty much common practice in NJ.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2006
  14. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

No offense at all.. every situation is different.
    my customers must be more laid back around here as I have never had any trouble with snow depths and billing for such, here in the back woods.lol
    The only problem I see is that the snow depths can vary greatly between your customers lot and where your service is located.

15. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

What service are you using ? Do they handle the midwest as well ?
    I do agree about the yard stick on the big commercial stuff, not gonna fly. How accurate are the third party services ?
    I know around here my accounts close to the lake may have 4 0r 5" more then some accounts 5 miles west. I often wonder how the third party would be able to know this info. It seems most snowfall totals I see here come from the airport, which is fine for some accounts. But not all of them. I have 2" triggers on my accounts and sometimes only a few of them meet the trigger. Short of going out and checking I dont know of another way.
    Murray and Trettel is usefull here (big money as well) but they have been known to be wrong as well. I realize airports, or giant complexs would actually have someone stick the lot as well, but for 2000 a push I doubt thats gonna happen.
    Todd

16. tjlands

tjlands Senior Member

My costumers are happy with the NOAA website, they have 40 sites just in one county in NJ. This is needed because of the proximity of the ocean. The difference of 5- 10 miles could be 6-12 inches here. I also use weather works
    that is located in NJ.

17. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

Question??
    When you go out and check your lots, how do you determine if their is 2"or not?
    What are going to do when the power goes out or you ISP is down how will you know if it has SNOWED..:waving:

Last edited: Feb 18, 2006
  18. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

Good point Sno, I do measure as well. I think what TJ is saying is when you get into higher amounts of snow the price goes up. As in was there 5.9" at $2500, or 6.1 at $3250. A 32nd of an inch is alot of money. The third party would eliminate any questioning or second guessing the plow guy. We dont have the luxury of 40 NWS sites in this county so I guess I am still on my own. The Lake here (Lake Michigan) effects my totals as well, that is why I asked about the services available. Not bashing anyone or poking fun at anyone. Just wondering how they figure out what fell and were.

19. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

I under stand some of you need records from a third party for snow totals.
    my point is, other the one on my head:dizzy: Is, It's snow removal.. How complicated do you have to make it?
    How did the roads, lots and drives get plowed before the invention of T.V. or the Internet??lol:waving:

20. tjlands

tjlands Senior Member

only as complicated as the management companies, owners and lawyers make it. You do have a point, 30 years ago who would care about 2-3" of snow. Nowadays all hell breaks out in NJ when it snows...not that I am complainingpayup