1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snow Ex Vpro 8000

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Kirkbride Lawn, Jan 10, 2013.

1. Kirkbride Lawn

Kirkbride Lawn Junior Member

I was looking to buy 2 used 2004 Snow Ex V pro 8000 salters. The guy was wanting to sell both of them for $3,800. Is that a good deal? Are they reliable and are the parts really pricey? All help would be great guys!:waving:

2. pabaker66

pabaker66 Senior Member

I bought the same one this past fall. Everyone told me not to buy it that it was a pos. I have been very happy with it so far. I run 4 tons of bulk salt through it every event. (I have done 9 salt events) There is only one thing that i have seen so far that could be a problem. I put 5 bags of rock salt in it to go do a small parking lot (i was trying to get rid of some bagged material from last year) buy the time i got to the lot there was only about 3 bags left in hopper. It seems that the bagged stuff was dry and it flowed past the auger and out onto the ground. O:nod:ther than that it had been a great spreader.

3. donleybrent

donleybrent Member

I run them and like them.

4. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

Price seems high for 9 year old salters. Plan on replacing controllers if he hasn't already

5. Kirkbride Lawn

Kirkbride Lawn Junior Member

I agree the price seems a little high, just didnt know how well they hold their value. What would be a good alternative to keep my eye open for?:help:

6. goel

goel PlowSite.com Addict

I have run hundreds and hundreds of tonne thru ours over the last 5 years without any major issues. Mine only has 1 vibrator and I run it in a dump truck to help the flow.

Would I buy another one? Prob not, pricey purchase and replacement parts.

But, it has paid for itself many many times over.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2013
  7. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

Offer the guy $2500.00 I'm sure based on the age they are a little beet up.

8. MahonLawnCare

MahonLawnCare Senior Member
    from Ohio

I saw some on CL, and I believe I saw the listing. He wanted 1600 a piece. I know if it's the same guy, he upgraded to Karrier Controllers, but like others said, I would get a new harness off the bat. I never trust used harnesses. Also I would be worried about the electric motors. The gearbox auger motors for those is pricey.

9. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

I use 3 of them for past 7 years love them biggest problem is metal frame and salt don't mix
    Parts are expensive but I only went through 1 controller
    Agree price seems a bit high ex my spinners are bent and wobble like most a new one is $1200 control box is about $600
    Depends on shape no more than $2500 or $2600

10. goel

goel PlowSite.com Addict

Watch for the metal to crack and break around the 4 bolts on the bottom side where the shaft comes out. When ours started to wobble it eventually broke free. We took all ours that are a similar design and had an extra plate welded on for strength. Darn things always seem to wobble.

11. cjwoz

cjwoz Senior Member
    from CHICAGO

I've had one about 5 years now and it's been very reliable. I would recommend watching the bulk you run thought it. I use to run bulk that was stored outside uncovered and that bulk would bridge up(from being wet). I solved that problem by adding two additional vibrators( separate switch). I do actually like the metal frame cause I had some pieces welded to the bottom of it so I can pick it up with the skidder. I Then had it galvanized and it should be looking good for years.

12. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

I bought them new for $2700 installed
    They owe me nothing I have an 8500 for 4 years been great also
    I also have 2 vibartors on each
    That is the biggest problem on the controllers is run everything on a separate toggle and they don't burn out