1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

snow-ex v box in half ton?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by the new boss 92, Nov 14, 2009.

1. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

i know they make a v-box salter for the half ton trucks,(truck in my sig and my avator) but what do you guys recomend? i have to see one driving down the road. what are your oppinnions? im thinking about the sp 6000, the sp 7500 and the sp 7550. any help is really appreciated. pic to would be useful! thanks guys

2. DAFFMOBILEWASH

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

Do you plan on moving up a truck size in the next couple of years. If so go with the larger 7550. Remeber you don't have to overfill or run at the salters capacity, just pick the amount the truck is happy with. Another trick is to replace the 1/2 ton leafs with some 3/4 ones. Hope this helps!!!

3. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Wait till you can afford a 3/4 ton and put the V plow on that too.

4. the new boss 92

i do plan on upgrading to a 3500 srw. i was also thing the 7550 cause i am going to add air bags aswell cause i do i decent amount of towing in the summer. im probley going to use the truck this season and the upcoming season then upgrade and i dont have enough account to fill it all the way about 2/3 of the way. does anyone know the dementions on the 7000 and 7550, lenght width hight?

5. I'llPLOWYou

I'llPLOWYou Member

Here is the link to snowex's website that has all the info you will need for any of the spreaders you mentioned.
    http://trynexfactory.com/pdfs/snowex/2009/specifications.pdf
    You could also use an 1875 tailgate model. I have ran one on my F150 for a couple years now and it does fine. Just watch your carrying weight in the truck bed for DOT purposes. Any of the three are designed for a short bed truck so you should be fine. The 7550 and 7500 are the same capacity box(1.4 cu.yd.) but the 7550 has a few extra features to it.

6. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Your back! :waving:

7. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Ever going to answer my questions in the other thread?

8. I'llPLOWYou

I'llPLOWYou Member

I was never gone!

9. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Your truck is not up to carrying a V-box. The weight of the box alone, combined with the plow will cause you to exceed your GVWR/Payload. Air bags/AAL help carry weight better, but there is much more to GVWR than spring rates. Brakes, wheel bearings, gear ratios, transmissions, etc. You have a nice pickup there, don't destroy it. Tailgate unit is all you want on that truck.

10. the new boss 92

2 core i see were you are comming from thats why i asked cause i dont want to be spending 2 grand on a tailgate spreader, then the fallowing year 5 on a v box, thats why i'm considering a smaller v box that i could use for a season in my half ton then upgrade to 3500 srw in the near future. thanks illplowu for the suggestion. i also see that on the web site tat they have the 7550 in a f-150, i dont want to push the limits to the max but i might need to use the truck to its posential alittle bit till i save up some coin to get a 1 ton, but dont wanna hurt any one in the prosses!

Last edited: Nov 15, 2009
  11. Mark Oomkes

Then why won't you answer any questions?

12. I'llPLOWYou

I'llPLOWYou Member

Your questions were already answered!
    By the way, can you send me some info on joining SIMA?

13. Mark Oomkes

Be happy to.

www.sima.org

14. I'llPLOWYou

I'llPLOWYou Member

thanks. i've been thinking about joining. do you have any of the old study material you would want to get rid of?

15. Mark Oomkes

What are you studying for?

No studying needed to become a member.

16. I'llPLOWYou

I'llPLOWYou Member

Well I wanted to go the CSP route. I know they have all the study material and dint know if you had some old stuff. Did you do the CSP?

17. bigmac1276

bigmac1276 Member

I have an '02 Ram 1/2 ton with snowex vee pro 3000 and it is just right for the accounts that I have. I had to put a set of timbrens in the back to help. If I was you I would not go any bigger than a 6000. If you need to go bigger than you might want to think about getting a heavier duty truck. Just my opinion.

18. cretebaby

Where?

When?

19. I'llPLOWYou

I'llPLOWYou Member

Look at the thread. They are all there! Maybe the mods didn't like the answers and removed them.

20. cretebaby

Really, I can't find them you will have to point them out to me.