1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snow Ex spreader?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by 06HD BOSS, Jan 31, 2006.

1. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

2. dutchman

dutchman Senior Member

you know how much they are!!!!!!
  3. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

If they are anything like the tailgate kind they got to be great i have been looking into them also..
  4. Gavins Lawncare

Gavins Lawncare Member

i own a 1075 and love it no problem at all i run bult salt thought it been great for me
  5. Snow Picasso

Snow Picasso Senior Member

Hey Buddy, I've got 4- 575's. This is my fourth season with them. Not one problem!!! There great!! Just take care of them!:salute: :salute:
  6. fernalddude

Hey Snow Picasso have you had to rebuild the trans mission or replace the bearings? I have rebuilt mine twice new set up is like 300,it takes some time but my rebuild was like 50 bucks a got a drawing with replacement part numbers if you need it drop me a pm .....its got the seal numbers ,frez plug,bearings, and keyway Dad does all the work on them(more time on his hands) if they build it he can repair it..
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2006
  7. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

Yeah, but im thinking for something that isnt gonna rust out or look like sh*t when the paint wears off after the first season or 2, it might be worth the extra money.
    So far it seems that everyone has positive comments about it.
  8. greenscapes inc

greenscapes inc Member
    from utah

I just bought a 575 this year and I have to tell you I'm not happy with it. Maybe I'm doing something wrong but I fill mine up with ice melt and it just falls out the bottom on to the spreader. If you try to drive from job to job then it just falls out on the way. Let me know if I'm doing something wrong.
  9. fernalddude

I fill mine on site unless its close to the job. Was that a new 575 or used the auger might be worn allowing free flow from the weight and size does matter(LOL) the finer the chemical the more it free flows. look at the drawings if part 15 is worn flow will pass thru part 2 bottom sleeve

Attached Files:

10. greenscapes inc

greenscapes inc Member
    from utah

No its not worn. For the money I payed you would think it would hold the material when not in use. All in all Im not to happy with it.
  11. Runner

Runner Senior Member

Tailgate spreaders don't hold the material in them - no matter what brand they are. If you are using some sort of ice-melt, other than bagged rocksalt, it will all come out. You have to fill according to job. The Snowex V spreaders have been an ok product, but do some searching on here. There are alot of unhappy campers. They have auger issues, as well as controler problems. A spreader that is selling well, has had ) complaints, and is becoming very popular fast, is the SaltDogg by Buyers. It is a poly, but has a Stainless tailsection. The price is real comparable.
  12. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

I bought a 1075 this year and could not be happier. If I were you, I would just get a 1075 or 1875 instead of the V-boxes. All I run is de-icer in it and I can fill it up and go job to job and nothing falls out. It spreads great, and has only clogged up once but that was my fault. :eek: Just make sure after every use it gets a bath and it will last forever!:)
  13. Gatewayuser

Gatewayuser Senior Member

I bought the 575 this year and love it.
    You have to fill to the right amount, I do large commercial so it does not matter to me.
    Mine gets powerwashed and neutralized every snow.
  14. danmc

danmc Member

We use the 575 and 1875

We use the 575 and 1875. The 1875 handles bulk salt with no problem at all but that is mostly due to the vibrator and we've had zero problems with it so far. The 575 has been having some problems lately. We only use bag salt in it and the salt seems to be sticking to the sides of the hopper, so I pretty much have to stop every five feet to shake the hopper when I'm spreading the salt....
  15. rcpd34

rcpd34 Senior Member
    from MD

If you are planning on buying the 1875 or smaller; i.e. tail gate unit, Buy It; they are the best out there. If you are planning on the V box units, save yourself time, money and a LOT of aggravation and buy something else. They are nothing more than oversized tailgate spreaders and I regret buying it. The new 8500 may be an improvement, but I'll wait and see. I'm tired of being SnowEx's Research & Developement department.
  16. bridge577

bridge577 Member
    from ohio

Hey guy snow ex is a good product I have the same problem with calcium or ice melt it is to small and doesn't stick together like salt when you drive it falls out.
    I have a snow-way tailgate on a truck it does have two slides on it to controll the amount that comes out and it can be closed driving from job to job there a littlr moe but well worth it.
  17. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

I would love your drawing with the part numbers, and a source for parts.. I had to replace a transmission this year on my 1075, do to me bending the shaft trying to remove the spinner.
    I looked to get parts to re build it but had no luck.
  18. amar

amar Member

I have a 1075. Its a good unit. I have a vibrator on it when the salt is alittle wet the vibrator is on the whole time. I run only bulk through it. I had problems with a connection coming loose on the motor but it was fixed. It OL's often (over load) but your not supost to run bulk through it anyhow. Its four years old and had over 100 yards of bulk salt through it. Thats over 200,000 lbs I cant believe it still works.
  19. Snow Picasso

Snow Picasso Senior Member

Fernalddude, No I haven't! Every now and then I'll pour some trans fluid inside the hopper and run the spreader on low for a little while. That's it! I always do it when I'm putting them up for storage in the spring and when I pull them out in the fall! I'd like to say that's working! Also this year I've been spraying the outside spinner and all the metal with that Fluid Film. That stuff works great it literally acts as a protective barrier from the salt. I'm sure know this, but make sure you power wash all of the salt when your done with the spreader. That salt is the worst thing for those spreaders. Take Care, Snow Picasso
  20. fernalddude

repair trans

ok tried to scan some drawings but came out like s$$t but will get the numbers and better drawings after the game on monday:nod: