1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snow-Ex Spreader Upgrade!

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by lawnprolawns, Jan 19, 2009.

1. lawnprolawns

lawnprolawns Senior Member

While walking through Home Depot the other day I passed by the section with all the Rubbermaid containers and thought "One of those would would screw right on to the top of my salter and double the capacity!"

So.. I screwed one on to the salter and doubled the capacity. (Duh) My 240lb spreader now holds 560 pounds of salt, and with two straps to hold it to the truck, it's not going to hurt anything. A lot nicer now not having to jump out every three bags of salt, especially with one of my jobs using 25 bags, and the other two using 8 each.

Yes, I look like a redneck, but it works! Doesn't clog or anything. And it cost a whopping 10 bucks to make.

[​IMG]

2. 02DURAMAX

02DURAMAX PlowSite.com Addict

why didnt you just buy teh bigger spreader in teh first place?

its not much more.

3. procut

procut Senior Member

You certainly won't win any style points, but I give you an A for effort!

4. kipcom

kipcom Senior Member
    from Indiana

Hey now !!!!!! money is short & times are hard....$10bucks and it works ';';'';''';'ussmileyflag

5. Dailylc

Dailylc Senior Member

You know your a redneck when...................
    great way to think outside the box.

James

6. SKYNYRD

SKYNYRD Senior Member

i commend you my friend.:salute: a simple yet effective way to spend your money wisely. even if you go threw several totes it should be a long time before you equal how much you would have shelled out for the bigger spreader.

7. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

Do you have any problems with blowing fuses on a regular basis? I would think the extra weight, on an underpowered motor would overload all the time. Not that I am knocking your red-neck extension, but I have the same spreader, and had to raise it 8 inches out of my hitch assembly, just to get it to throw salt in the 10 foot wide range. If I would put one of these on top of my spreader I would have to get a 6 foot ladder to be able to fill it.

8. lawnprolawns

I actually got this from a guy that decided he didn't want it, brand new and never used, for a pretty good price. At the time I didn't think I was going to be spreading nearly as much salt as I do now, so I thought it'd be nice to have something small and easy to move around. Next year comes the V-Box.

Haven't had any problems. Not sure what amperage fuse you're running, mine blew early on and I replaced it with a 25, and I also run three lights off the same wire. Haven't had any problems since. Also, I'm not sure the extra salt makes a huge difference on the motor load, maybe a little.

As for spreader width, I don't seem to have any issues. Without snow it will fling it across a whole road, maybe 20'. With snow or after plowing it probably spreads 10-15'.

9. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

Mine must of been built on a Monday. Everyone recovering from hangovers last weekend. I blow at least 2 fuses every time I salt. I have upgraded to 25 amp fuses as well. Before I raised mine up the 8 inches, I couldn't even spread the full width of my truck. I just bought it this year, so it is brand new, and I am ready to throw it away. The dealer I bought it from doesn't have a clue, and has pretty much given up on it as well.

10. lawnprolawns

I'd make sure you're getting 12v with plenty of amperage back there. sounds like you might have a short, causing poor electrical flow and causing the fuse to blow.

Without looking at it right now, I'd say mine spreads at least 4-5' past the side of the truck.

I'd hook it right up to a battery, making sure all your connections are clean and tight, and see what it does.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2009
  11. maelawncare

maelawncare Senior Member

good idea. i'd be more concerned about breaking the reciever hitch more than the moater. The way snowexs work, it wont send too mulch salt through the chute, so no extra weight or strain on the moter.

You need to paint it yellow though :p And is that a 575 or the smaller one? Cause i can fit 400lbs in my 575. Would be nice to fit 600lbs though :D

12. lawnprolawns

that's the smaller one, the 240lb. I can now fit 7 80lb bags, so 560 lbs.

As for breaking the hitch, I have it strapped to the truck real tight, so there's not a lot of extra strain on the hitch.

13. GL&M

GL&M Senior Member
    from PA

Good ole American ingenuity at its best.

14. Daner

Daner PlowSite.com Addict

I give you a 10...who cares what anyone thinks...It works big time,and your going to Increase your production...You could also do a update mod and paint It yellow...then you got a whopping $15 bucks In It

Daner

15. vaham

vaham Junior Member

I think you have a wiring issue, not a spreader issue. You either have undersized wire to the spreader motor, a pinched or rubbed-through jacket on a hot wire somewhere, a bad battery, or corrosion in a connector/terminal somewhere. The problem is creating high circuit resistance, slowing the motor and blowing fuses. Provided the problem is not in your battery or spinner motor, I bet if you ran a test using #10 wire directly from the battery to the motor, the motor would run faster than it does when going through your harness/controller.