1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snow ex spreader - is it worth adding a liquid system to it

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by jvm81, Nov 22, 2010.

1. jvm81

jvm81 Senior Member
    from Midwest

I have a snow ex spreader. Considering liquid. Then I am considering pre-wetting alongside with the spreader. Is it worth the cost?

Part of me things that spreading sand/salt and then pre-wetting is uisng twice the chemical for same result??

If I am wrong please advise.

2. goel

goel PlowSite.com Addict

Are you getting paid more?

Are you going to save money?

Net benefit(s) is or/are?

Net cost is? (equipment¸ consumables)

Its all simple math on your part now.

3. rblake

rblake Senior Member
    from dayton

I guess it depends on what you will pre wet with. If calcium, you will be able to melt at lower temps, reduce bounce and you should be able to use less salt. How much, couldnt say

4. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Reduce bounce on a parking lot? We use to prewet and now we don't. It was more of a PITA then anything. You need to put around 20 gal/ton on to see any benefit as far as I'm concerned and unless it's cold your throwing your money away. The best plan is to use treated salt when the temp dictates. JMO

5. deicepro

deicepro PlowSite.com Addict

The cheapest way to start( to see if you even like it) is to get a small tank, 30-50 gal, 2gpm electric pump and pre-wet your salt as you spread (I use calcium) you should see reduced salt useage as well as quicker melting action
    pre-wetting can be a PITA, but works very well for me

6. jvm81

jvm81 Senior Member
    from Midwest

so pre wet as I sand/salt. How about dumping down liquid and hoping for the 2-3inches of snow to melt therefore reducing my cost, and maybe the need to go out and do those little amounts.

7. deicepro

deicepro PlowSite.com Addict

You must be dreaming....use the search box, tons of info, you can build a small pre-wet system for less than a couple hundred bucks...keep hoping but you can't melt 2-3" with liquid, 1 1/2" at best

8. jvm81

jvm81 Senior Member
    from Midwest

Not dreaming just keep talking with magic salt dealer that is trying to sell the product. I like the idea and have used little liquid in the past but just feeling it out. No one in my area is offering it and maybe it is worth checking into.

9. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

It makes sense

Certainly you will be able to reduce salt consumption by pre-wetting material at discharge. Not to be confused with pre-treating before the snow falls. That will be a different thread.

If you use the snowex PWS it is calibrated to the auger that feeds the spinner so you do not have to worry about calibration. Check with your local dealer for more info, but yes liquids do make sense.