1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

snow ex sp575

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Jeckstine, Nov 27, 2012.

1. Jeckstine

Jeckstine Member
    from PA

Anyone add a light to your salter so you could see the salt when spreading in the dark? If so how did you do it?

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Yes,,,,run wire and switch,,fuse....maybe a relay. Then all the lights you want. Remember to run pwr and gnd to each light

3. Jeckstine

Jeckstine Member
    from PA

That was my plan but I have not found a good weather proof connector so I can disconnect the wires to the light to remove the salter from the truck.

4. dieselss

Really?? Your not looking hard enough. I can think of 4 websites and even AutoZone carries a diecent connector

5. Jeckstine

Jeckstine Member
    from PA

that could be true!:)

6. dieselss

Ok.....look around a little and post back

7. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

I have mine plug right into the trailer light connector. It is always on when the headlights are on but I have never had a problem, with the law that is.

8. Jeckstine

Jeckstine Member
    from PA

My brother in law made me up a nice sealed connector. I put a switch in the truck so I can turn it on and off. I was having problems with my salter connection so we made it all up at once. Everything is sealed tight.

9. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

trailer plug

We run ours right to the trailer plug. Works great. Comes off and on with your lights and come off with the spreader.

light on 1875.jpg

10. Deut2210a

Deut2210a Member

I've got two lights up high

I have a snowex 575 tailgate spreader plus custom backup/work/salt lights that George set up for me in a DIY kit. They work off a relay on the reverse circuit along with the backup alarm or they can be switched on to help see what you are doing in back for loading and spreading. They are mounted high in the center of the bump-up camper top pointed down to the left and right corners. My biggest complaint with this location is that the glass on the camper is either restricting my view to the rear if the camper window is down or blocking the lights a bit if the window is up. I could hove mounted the lights at the top corners of the camper shell but then I would have had to drill holes in the fiberglass. As it is I mounted them in a wooden plate in place of the high brake light. I can't say enough about how I like the camper and salt box I'm using. It lets me buy the salt bulk and keep it available and dry.

11. srl28

srl28 Senior Member

Wayne do you have any pictures of the plug and how you have it wired? Where you got the parts or what the parts you used are? I figured a round trailer plug would work fine.

12. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

Trailer light

1) Buy your light and get one with both leads coming out so you can ground it through the plug
    2) Buy a seven way plug that plugs into your trailer plug in the back
    3) Wire the red lead to your running light option in the plug and the black lead to your ground option on the plug. This will make it come on anytime your running lights are on. Using a light with both wire leads eliminates the problem of trying to get a ground on the box

Everything can be purchased at Auto Zone, Wal-Mart or the like. Leave enough cord to use a swing-a-way gate kit if you use a tailgate spreader.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2012
  13. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Here is the pictures I took yesterday of one of our 575 with the light setup.

IMAG0095.jpg

IMAG0096.jpg

IMAG0097.jpg

14. MR. Elite

MR. Elite Senior Member
    from E Town

Check out MOLEX plugs... They are great in every way!!!! Thats all I ever use when doin any type of custom installs, weather it b lights, speakers in fiberglass door panels, or adding multiple alternators or when i drag my vibrator plug 20+ miles!