1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

snow ex sp575 spreader

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by matt7791, Oct 24, 2009.

1. matt7791

matt7791 Member

i am thinking about buying a snow ex sp575 spreader i am wondering how they hold up also if anyone has used it to spread sand also do you lose alot of salt when the spinner stops :laughing:
  2. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

I've had pretty good luck with mine. It's gravity feed though, so sand will pack in and bridge, I wouldn't use sand in a 575. I'd look for a Western proflo 2 if you want to use sand in a tailgate spreader. Very little salt loss when you shut it off, it bridges very well. Only problem with the 575 is that the motor isn't very strong, so if you drive around with salt in it, you have to get out and kick the spinner to get it moving again when you get to the next account. Mines 5 years old and looks it. They are very prone to rust, it's a never ending battle with a mild steel spreader, but the snowex's seem to be a little worse for some reason... Take good care of it, wash it after each use, and you should get many years of use out of it.
  3. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

I have a 325, and I know this is off topic, but I wash and dry my spreader about 3 times during the season, and just spry the crap out of it with Fluid Film after each use. It still looks brand new today.
  4. naturalgreen

naturalgreen Senior Member

575 loses very little salt in travel. auger blocks alot. Sand will not work well in it. There are plenty of ones that can handle sand though
  5. Lugnut

Lugnut Senior Member

Good to hear the 575s don't lose much salt, I just ordered oneto do driveways with, gonna be putting magic through it most likely
  6. matt7791

matt7791 Member

sounds like it is a decent machine the price was pretty good $1300 i ordered mine today we will see how it goes
  7. naturalgreen

naturalgreen Senior Member

love mine had a few over the years easy to load by myself at 2 am and holds enough to do alot of my large lots. Never had an issue keep it fluid filmed and idelectic grease.
    turn the spinner every moth if you can and throw it on and go each year for me. the auger set up causes a block so you only lose very little salt or ice melt. for a driveway and a small lot guy this is a great one. if you wanna buy bulk and do walmarts then you are screwed.