1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snow Ex SP-110 Tailgate Spreader

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by BOSS LAWN, Jan 16, 2012.

BOSS LAWN Senior Member

Thinking about buying a few tailgate spreaders for my trucks , i use bagged ice melters.

any suggestions? the salting is in high demand for my commercial accounts payup
  2. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

The sp-110 is meant for like a UTV for doing sidewalks, you'// only be able to get about 3 bags in there and that does not go far at all! plus it only spreads about 25' which is going to be even less if it's about an inch of snow as opposed to 1/4"

I'd recommend getting the biggest tailgate salter you can afford, because getting out of your truck every five minutes to load salt will get to be annoying. Also, you should look at purchasing a vibrator for your salter ($300) this will ensure that your salter never clogs and will spread salt until it's empty. If you get a 1075, make sure to get the pivot mount, because it's a 160 lbs spreader and all you need to do is swing it open to put a pallet of salt in your truck. If you're willing to go a step further, considered a small tank for brine in it and you can have it spray directly on the spinner and this will help prevent the salt from bouncing around which in turn will allow you to use less salt.

You did say tailgate spreader, but you may want to consider an vbox as you can get a yard of salt for about 70$ and you could have one truck do all of your accounts. Plus, the vbox's come with an auger, vibrator and spinner. If you get the right unit, you can add Trynex's new salting management accessory which allows you to figure out how much salt you are using on each lot.
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2012
  3. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Go with a Snowex 575, or 1075. You will not be disappointed. The cheapest prices here in town are at Crysteel in Fridley. I think a 575 goes for $1300 or so and a 1075 is about $300 more.