1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snow Ex rust

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by tocs93, Jan 4, 2006.

1. tocs93

tocs93 Junior Member

Is it normal that the impeller on my snow ex spreader is already showing some rust after using it only a month into the season? I would expect metal parts to show some rust over time but not on a brand new spreader after only using it for a month!

2. Craftybigdog

Craftybigdog Senior Member

The next time you use it the salt will take the rust off the spinner. Relax its salt, my snow ex does the same thing.

3. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Hi Toss93
    I have a snowex vee pro 8000 and after each use I wash it and then spray the spinner head, shaft, auger shaft down with a good coating of corrosionx. After 2 seasons of salt spreading it looks like new still. www.corrosionx.com
    Its not cheap but it's a great produce. It was made for use in high corrosion place's like plane's and boats.

Regards Mike

4. golden arches

golden arches Senior Member

Same idea: Powerwash after using, then I use Fluid Flim to coat it. Salt doesn't stick, rust doesn't start.

5. tocs93

tocs93 Junior Member

thanks

Mike, thanks for the info! Which corrosionX product do you use? I am assuming you use the corrosionX in the red aerosol can? It looks like a great product. Have you tried the rejeX product for your car or truck?

Thanks,
    -Scott

6. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Hi Scott
    Yes I use the red can, but when I need it in a hurry I have gone down to the airport at the FBO and bought the blue can from them. Premier on this site use's the HD corrosionx. I'm about out so when I do reorder I will order the HD. This is great stuff has saved my but many time's. If you have a rusted on fastener spray it a couple times let it sit overnight and most times you can loosen that nut, I love this stuff.

Good Luck Mike

7. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

As stated above, I use the Corrosion X HD. I bought several cans online, they're great. I also bought the Wax for cars that they sell, and that also, works great. But the best thing that the company offers is their Corrosion X, it has helped me free up bolts with ease, many many times. Instead of using a whole can of wd40, you can use a simple squirt of Corrosion X HD and its loose.

8. rcpd34

rcpd34 Senior Member
    from MD

Better yet, I took my spinners off and went over to Line-X and had them shoot 'em with the bed liner stuff. Works like a champ and 2 seasons later still looks new. Also make sit so quiet, all you hear is the salt hitting the pavement!