1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snow ex 8500 review

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by DAFFMOBILEWASH, Dec 20, 2009.

1. DAFFMOBILEWASH

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

Well day two of using the new salter and I could not be happier.wesport I have used the chain style v boxes for almost 8 years now and this is the first fully electric salter. No fuel lots of power and it can dump the salt when you need it. It is also nice for sidewalks and small areas for the variable rate spinner. The best is no pile of salt under the V box, Nothing!!!

All in all I would highly recommend this salter for anyone looking to upgrade to a new salter!!! The only bad part is the price tag, priced much like the stainless gas units.

2. deicepro

deicepro PlowSite.com Addict

I just priced one out at $6000, I didn't think that was too bad, my 9500 was almost $10000

3. DistinctiveDave

DistinctiveDave Senior Member

Im going on my 3rd season with a 8500 snow ex. It is my main salter and I love it. Even had a guy use it last year who never salted before use it, and i was able to explain settings and how to use it over the phone.

Only complaint I have is the spinner motor. That whole assembly needs to be opened up every year and cleaned otherwise you will have spinner motor problems.

4. Grassman09

Grassman09 2000 Club Member

Whats so much better about the snowex vs the salt dogg? I guess they worked out the problems with the controllers going up in smoke?

5. DistinctiveDave

DistinctiveDave Senior Member

Supposedly the controller that comes with the V-maxx 8500 has all the bugs worked out. It has relays or something in it to prevent those problems.

The only problem I had was the spinner motor had to be rebuilt from the salt and I replaced the crappy connector on the spinner wire with a nice anderson connector, but that was my choice.

6. DeVries

DeVries PlowSite.com Addict

I've had an 8500 for five seasons now. We are very happy with it, there's no salt left behind inside the hopper and have replaced the spinner motor once.

The only complaint that I have with it is putting grease in the grease fitting at the front of the salter at the auger motor. They could have put it in an easier spot to get at.

7. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

I have to agree with devries... Its a major PIA to grease.... Myn only gets done once or twice a year... I cant see it needing more then that anyways since the augar dosent spin that fast...

Grassman - There has to be something different between a snowex and a salt dogg... since there almost twice the price...

8. DAFFMOBILEWASH

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

Has anyone thought of puting a remote greasable nipple on the frame ??? Much like the shovels. Will keep the spinner thing in mind in the early spring. For I do wash all equipment after every use and love to soak stuff in fluid film for the big summer sleep.

9. bluespruce

bluespruce Member

i have a 7500, and have a few things that i dis like its its kinda slow to start if u need to shut it off to drive out the exit and back in the entrance kinda miss a clutch there where u can leave the engine on and turn the spinner/chain on off faster than on off with snow ex? iam i alone or others wish it was faster. and i do have salt leak out around the front were the auger hole is and where the removable shoot its the v box. but theres no doubt i am glad u dont have to deal with the gas anymore.... other thing is my vibrator was acting up its connected and greased connection but it will beep and not start untill u flip it on and off a bunch of times any one else hear of this?

10. deicepro

There is a delay for the vib. built into the controller when you first turn it on

11. bluespruce

bluespruce Member

nope, it wont start period, and if thats why it wouldnt beep it just delays right?

Last edited: Dec 21, 2009
  12. deicepro

I complained to TyrnEx about this design flaw and the lady told me " You are not supposed to pressure wash them off, You are supposed to used compressed air.
    Also, read your owners manual, its a 'weather resistant' enclosure, not 'weather proof' " :dizzy: I replied with WTF, thats a horse sh** design, How is compressed air gonna clean that thing?

13. deicepro

When I turn mine on, and the vib is on at start, it wont vib for at least 3 to 5 seconds. I think the delay is so there is not so much demand on the controller

14. bluespruce

bluespruce Member

i understand but mine wont turn on period it beeps and dosnt come on

15. ultimate plow

ultimate plow PlowSite.com Addict
    from N. IL

Also uses a lot less salt than the hydros. The guy I work for has 3 of them and loves them! I think they are better built than the salt doggs.

16. deicepro

huh:confused: well I have had brand new vibes from the factory that were bad, try to skip the controller and wire it up direct to the battery

17. ultimate plow

ultimate plow PlowSite.com Addict
    from N. IL

Hook it up to straight power and see if it works. Check the connector behind the controller.

18. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

SnowEx is worth the cost

I run five of their models and have for six seasons now. Less downtime equals more profit. I have used many different spreaders in 30 years and these have had less downtime than any. The only issue in six years for us is one vibrator. That's the value to me. It's not what it costs to buy, it's what it cost me to use it. SNOWEX EQUALS PROFIT DOLLARS FOR ME!

I know you guys know what downtime costs, but here's how I look at it. Downtime is certainly something none of us can afford. If we have 480 minutes to get properties serviced (midnight to 8:00am) the last thing I want to do is spend time getting something working.

I realize there are more available hours for snow, but that's one of the criteria we look at.

19. deicepro

I agree with Wayne, Snowex is more money, but only a few minor problems with normal maintenancepayup

20. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

Have had a 8500 at work now for 3 years, no issues.....
    We usually run about 30 tons per year in that spreader