1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snow-Ex 8500. Karrier or Snow Ex controller?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Mark13, Oct 23, 2013.

1. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I'm looking to set up my truck to run a Snow Ex 8500 spreader. We already have the spreader so all I need is a controller and harness. Question is, do I go OEM on the stuff and pay snow-ex's prices or get the aftermarket Karrier controller and harness at roughly half the price?

2. Garagekeeper

Garagekeeper Senior Member

Mark the Omega controllers are very good and do cost less then the OE ones.
    As far as the harnesses, the Rhino harness have been running more then the OE SnowEx harnesses but you do get the better connectors with the Rhino...
    :rolleyes: John...

3. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

I guess that depends on if you plan to add liquids later on. With the SnowEx controller you can plug the liquid controller right into the back of it and it will spray the liquid in proportion to what your feed is set at. That's what I have on my 8500 and love it.
    If you're only going to be throwing salt and is no plans for the liquid I guess I would go the less expensive route. Make sure you mount the controller so you can remove it in the summer(no matter what brand) because the heat from setting in the truck will destroy it in summer.

4. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I don't see liquids being added anytime soon. If liquids do get added I think I could always grab the snow-ex controller out of the spare truck and put the karrier controller in there or just suck it up and buy the snow ex controller then and have a spare.

I did notice the connectors on the Rhino harness looked like quality parts compared to some plastic ones that might make it a couple seasons before they get cracked or broken.

5. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

3 seasons on my 8500 and I have to replace the connection from the spinner motor to the harness in the back. Ticks me off but I guess is part of the game.

6. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I don't mind so much replacing connectors because over time they corroded or just got wore out as much as I hate replacing connectors because they were cheaply made and broke/cracked.