1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snow EX 8000 vs. SaltDogg 2000

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Banshee, Nov 15, 2007.

1. Banshee

Banshee Junior Member

Need an electric polymer spreader for a 3/4 ton Dodge. I've been researching both of these for the last couple of weeks. I've talked to salesmen, servicemen and guys who own both. Feed back was good & bad on both. I am leanig toward the Snow EX - not a big fan of Buyers products. Any info would be great. Thanks in advance.

2. GreenAcresFert

GreenAcresFert Senior Member

I've actually been researching both as well, A good buddy of mine has the snow ex, and his only complaint in 4 years is that the gravity feed part. He put a shaker on it and it helped, then he ended putting another shaker and it works fine. Myself, I'm going with salt dog. I've heard good and bad about both, so now its a price thing. I see the snow ex's used for about 2-3K, brand new salt dogg 2950. I'm crossing my fingers and going with best bang for the buck. Bryan

3. hickslawns

hickslawns Senior Member

No experience with either, but I am curious to see what responses you get. I just wanted to tell Greenacreasfert that is a fine looking boxer! Best dog you can have in my opinion!

4. GreenAcresFert

Hey thanks, great dog, very hyper. I kept hearing when she ws younger that she would settle down in a couple years, she is almost 6 and hasn't lost a bit. Sure puts a smile on your face when you walk in the door after a bad day. Sorry Banshee, didn't mean to jak your thread

5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Saltdogg 2000 maybe Buyers best product.

Would choose over S-EX8000 on price alone.

6. Andy N.

Andy N. Senior Member

The Snow Ex is a complete waste of money. I know because of experience. It was the worst product I have ever bought and the worst company that I have ever dealt with. No customer support / service whatsoever.

I have no experience with the Salt Dogg, but in my honest opinion, I would go with a stainless steel VBox with a HONDA engine. The engine upgrade is well worth the money.

7. Banshee

Banshee Junior Member

Hey guys, thanks for the quick responses. Here is a couple of reasons I'm considering the Snow EX: (1) The nearest Salt Dogg dealer is about an hour away from the shop, so getting parts and service could be a little tricky. The nearest Snow EX dealer is 1 mile from the shop and I've been dealing with the same salesmen & servicemen for the last 12 years. (2) We take care of the sidewalks on most of our commercial accounts. We need to be able to carry 1 toro blower & a walk behind salt spreader. With the 8000 there is 28 inches from the back of your truck cab to the front of the salter. That leaves plenty of room to haul small equipment. The Salt Dogg only gives you about 18'. (3) The difference in price installed between the two is approximately $272.00. Salt Dogg being the cheaper. Again the way I look at this is when something goes down in the middle of night I'ts easier to get parts or sevice from the Snow EX dealer. That justifies the difference in price for us. After a few times running the 8000 I will post and let you know my honest opinion. Hopefully this will help others trying to decide on which electric to get.

8. Andy N.

Andy N. Senior Member

I hope you are not running bulk salt through that machine. The smallest clump will clog the auger and the system has an override that won't allow it to crunch it up.

I wouldn't worry about parts with an electric spreader - all of the parts are sealed up - you can't get to them. Maybe electric hookups, but that is it.

I can appreciate your need to haul small equipment with the spreader so it sounds like you have made you mind up. I hope things work out for you.

9. ACA Landscaping

ACA Landscaping Member

its amazing to me that there are so many people who hate the snow ex so much. don't get me wrong with so many people saying they had problems with it theres gotta be something to it. all i can say it that i've run 2 snow ex 8000's for 3 or 4 seasons now running bulk thru them and i wouldn't buy anything else. last yr i think i put 75 ton thru them and did nothing to them bought turn them on. i must have gotten the only 2 good ones to come thru the factory. knock on wood

10. snowace

snowace Member

I have had my 8000 for two seasons no problems. I only have one vibrator so when it gets low i have to get in it and push the salt down toward the auger but it only takes a couple of minutes and your back on the road. I leave the it covered when not in use the auger is still in good shape very little rust.

11. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I have had good luck with the VP8000. I like the way the Saltdogg carries weight forward of the axle. The lack of mild steel in the buyers is also a plus.

12. tman3007

tman3007 Senior Member

I've been researching the heck out of spreaders for a while too. It is frustrating because you hear SO MANY conflicting stories about gas vs. electric, stainless vs. poly, or this brand vs. that brand. What I've decided is to take a little bit of knowledge from everybody's experiences and just base my decision from that.

So after all of my deliberating, I went to order a stainless Snoway this morning and they called me back to say it would be 6 weeks before they could get it. :dizzy: I didn't want the mild steel so I ordered a Salt Dogg. I'll let you know how it goes, that's what I get for waiting this long to make a decision. :cry:

Later, Todd

13. GreenAcresFert

Yep, I'm going in the morning to get a salt dog, let ya know as soon as I get the spinner spinning

14. albertaplowman

albertaplowman Junior Member

We have the snow-ex 8000 and have been happy with the performance. Ours was not wired properly thus the source of our only problems. The guys that installed it at the dealer are electrical morons. We spread salt sand mix. I don't think it will ever jam on salt chunks as the auger will pass rocks as big as what will fit through the screen, and break up chunks of frozen sand. My only negative comments are that it spreads more to one side than the other and that the optimum flow kit was a waist of money. The vibrator on the back never helped out much and the baffle that it came with made material flow even when it wasn't on. That was embarrassing at the gravel yard as the loader was filling it and it was flowing out as fast as he was loading it. The second vibrator should be mounted at the top closer to the cab to help material flow down to the auger. Also make sure it has the red vibrators, the black ones suck. I also know a contractor that has been running two 8500 and never had a problem. The new wiring harness, vibrators, and controller should get rid of the problems from the past.

15. GreenAcresFert

Here it is, it is a 2 yard and gives me plenty of room for shovels, light snow blower, maybe even a cooler big enough for a 12 pack....:drinkup:

100_1230.jpg

16. tman3007

tman3007 Senior Member

looks nice!!! Can't wait to get mine

17. Fin

Fin Junior Member

I have the Salt Dogg and so far very pleased. I ran about 60 ton through it last winter. I would suggest you look at the instructions relative to how they suggest the straps be installed. It doesnt look like they are on in the correct position. I would hate to see you lose the spreader. It's gonna be wicked heavy with a full load.

18. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Good call Fin. Those straps need to be attached much lower and mounted to something more substantial.

19. JRSlawn

JRSlawn Senior Member

Salt doggs all the way I love mine wet salt or whatever you put in comes out We also take off our spinners and load trash cans to load our other spreaders it works great.

20. GreenAcresFert

Well, I some how come across this thread. Anybody around to tell any good or bad stories on there snow ex or salt dogg from this past season. I ran about 90 tons thru my mine with no problems, thats unless you end up having to leave some salt in there for couple days, the auger doesn;t do to well with a frozen bridge over it. Well hope everybodys lawn care is going good. I'm already sick of working every day, I'd rather be working part time crazy snow hours, oh well.