1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snow Ex 8' or Western 8'

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by racingmt, Mar 14, 2016.

1. racingmt

racingmt Member

I have a new Chevy 2500 HD and am in the market for one of two plows. Either a Snow Ex 8' HD for $4400 installed or a Western pro plus 8' for $4800 installed. I had a blizzard on my old truck and loved it but I have not yet seen the new Snow Ex plows. Looking for feedback/thoughts on which plow to get. Thanks

2. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

i have an 8.5 western pro plus on my 02, just got it last july.

less than 2 minutes to put on and take off.
    all the other trucks are getting converted to the pro plus.

3. racingmt

racingmt Member

Thanks for the info

4. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite.com Addict

I would go with the Western. Around this time, it gets a little quiet here. Try posting in new to industry or commercial section, may get a better response.

5. racingmt

racingmt Member

Great, thanks for the suggestion

6. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

when looking at snow plows, a very important thing to look at is dealer support.
    are they close to you if you need repairs?
    are they open during storms?
    do they have a good reputation?
    do they have good stock?
    i have always had Meyer plows on all my vehicles since i started plowing in 1973.
    everything i owned was picked up used, and cheap, except for the E-47 i bought new for my 88.
    but i also never had any problems with anything because i always stayed on top of maintenance.
    when i was looking to replace the plow on the 02 i went to the local meyer dealer.
    i got a bad vibe from them. it almost seemed like they did not want to bother with only one plow, because they do a large municipal business.
    so i went the opposite direction and talked to the western dealer. 17 miles away instead of 25 the meyer dealer was, and they answered every one of my questions, plus took me into the shop and showed my an install they were doing, and showed me how to mount and unmount the plow. the meyer dealer did not offer to do that either.
    then the big boss told me to wait for the new delivery of plows that would be coming in in three months time, it would save me over $400 on shipping costs.
    that sold me rite there.
    plus they stay open during storms in case customers need parts.

7. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

I say western only because they are proven
    I don't like buying new products I like to wait 3 years before buying

8. racingmt

racingmt Member

All good info,thankyou

9. racingmt

racingmt Member

Does anyone have a review of the Snow ex HD straight blades? Not much around on here about it, even in the Snow ex products forum....

10. boutch

boutch Junior Member

Hi Racingmt. The new Snowex is the old Blizzard in gray. Only difference I can see is the pump has move from the A frame to the head gear. If there is anything new on it, it would be sheared from Western/Fisher.

11. racingmt

racingmt Member

The moldboard is different, different hookup/lift piston arraignment.... loved the blizzard and its similar... just hoping to hear from someone who has used one...

12. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

snowex look cheap and thin metal. I always thought the old school blizzards were boat anchor heavy

Last edited: Mar 15, 2016
  13. Hysert

Hysert PlowSite.com Addict

Why not save a few more bucks and get something productive? 8.5V or a expanding plow??? The truck can handle it... straight blades are relics! Time is money

14. racingmt

racingmt Member

Honestly I thought about it but pretty much all of my plowing is local town streets for my town, in that respect I don't really need a V or expandable plow. But they are a good option

15. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

Straights are relics? :eek:
    Granted I like running Vees and they sure do make some things easier but in initial cost and upkeep running side by side in typical lots straight blades do just fine. Hoses and custom cutting edges all cost more with Vees

16. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

Yes, they are relics. I can't imagine using one unless it's 10' wide at least!

17. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

BTW...there is new Indiana Jones movie coming out, and he is on the hunt for a 8' straight blade.

18. chachi1984

chachi1984 Senior Member

straight blades are almost useless in bigger applications.
    I would either save up money and get a expanding plow or get wings on a pro plus