1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snow-ex 7500 or 8500

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by theIceNSnowman, Nov 28, 2012.

1. theIceNSnowman

theIceNSnowman Member

Looking into a spreader and my dealer quotes these with a $2000 difference. Why should I pay an extra 2k to hold a half a yard more of material? There must be a different motor in the 8500 or something.... Thanks in advance.
  2. spcars83

spcars83 Member

We have the 7500 for the last 5 years and it works great. We were in the same ball park and could not see spending the extra money. We started out using it for sand/salt mix and it worked great for it and then the customers did not want the sand mess tracking into there buildings and then the clean up at the end of the year so we went straight to ice melt. Had to put a extension over the auger towards the back about 8" long so the ice melt would not fall out the back. But it works great for ice melt as well.
  3. theIceNSnowman

theIceNSnowman Member

One difference I have found is they use different controllers. I just cant see spending 50 percent more to hold 25 percent more.
  4. theIceNSnowman

theIceNSnowman Member

After thought...
    BTW I get it, less time to travel and get more material: Fuel, time...
    I could see maybe like $800 difference. Not $2000
  5. spcars83

spcars83 Member

The controller on it is nice. We got spoiled when we went to this. Before we had a gas powerd one and you regulated it by engine rpm and that was it. The vibrator on it is great for when you are getting low. For the extra amount of money is it worth making a trip or two more for that extra half yard? Everyone has different opinions on that.
  6. vincent

vincent Senior Member

I have the 7500. On its 3rd season now, but there is a extreme flaw in the spreader. There is no gate to stop the flow of material when its loaded.

Sure people have said "stick a bag back back there while traveling", but for the money, they should have put a gate to control this.

Other than that, its been a great spreader.
  7. theIceNSnowman

theIceNSnowman Member

Anybody know if this is an issue with the 8500 as well?
  8. theIceNSnowman

theIceNSnowman Member

BTW I have never used a gas powered spreader, not sure why anybody would prefer that these days.
  9. viper881

viper881 Senior Member

My 8500 doesnt spill out when loaded. I have the baffle that runs the length of the auger. Not sure what the 7500 baffle is like.
  10. theIceNSnowman

theIceNSnowman Member

I also would like to point out, I am putting the salter in a 2010 F 350 SRW short bed. Anybody else think Im too heavy if I get the 8500 and load it up? You also have better visibility with the 7500, as it is smaller/shorter.
  11. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

If I remeber correctly the 8500 (could be the 8550) had a bigger motor and has auto reverse which the 7500 doesn't have. When i bought our 7500 you didn't get a tarp cover or the work light either,
  12. snorider075

snorider075 Senior Member

I got the 8500 and extremely happy!!! Controller is way upgraded from vee pro 8000
  13. MConst

MConst Junior Member

Regardless of which spreader you choose, I would definitely consider a full set of Timbrens for your truck. I have an 8500 on my diesel 250. I fill it level and the Timbrens make all the difference. I only travel between a few local retail centers at low speed and I feel comfortable.
  14. theIceNSnowman

theIceNSnowman Member

Thanks for all the advice everybody. You think I need timbrens in my 2010 f350 srw? short bed. Only has 27k miles on her, so still pretty stout. The 7500 they say i can do 2 yds mounded if need be, say for in a parking lot or something. What do you guys think? I have been told by a couple dealers that the 8500 is too much for a srw short bed. Its also almost 2 grand difference in price.
  15. johndeereguy

johndeereguy Senior Member
    from Iowa

I run 6 8500s. Love them. It is was better then the 7500 I used to run. Also I have several in F350 srw short beds.
  16. theIceNSnowman

theIceNSnowman Member

Do you need to leave the tailgate on the short bed srw to hold the 8500? Thanks for the reply.

Lets be real here for a second
    Legally and in regards to safety, in NYS, is the 8500, with say 2 yards of material, too heavy for the f350 short bed srw? I understand you can probably put 10000 lbs in the back of this truck and go down the road. However, I like to feel safe while driving around from house to house. I like to pass DOT and not have to worry about it.
    Personally I would rather stay within the means of this truck and get a bigger truck next year to hold something bigger.
  17. snorider075

snorider075 Senior Member

I have one in my 2011 f350 srw shortbed and fits perfectly, doesnt stick out any further then my vee pro 8000 did. I installed a set a firestone airbags and its very stable and safe.
  18. Lucygirl08

Lucygirl08 Junior Member

Snow ex 8500

I have a snow ex 8500 that was purchased in Jan 2012 and used twice. It was purchased privately to maintain small apartment complexes, however, my business has taken an unexpected turn and I am selling it. I'm listing it at $6,800.00 paid $7,500.00. Might be worth the road trip. I am just outside of Hartford CT. Please let me know.
  19. chachi1984

chachi1984 Senior Member

I dont have a ford , but a 02 sierra 2500HD and went to a pring shop and they put heavy duty leaf in the back. about the thickness of 2 stock springs.

plus look what your stuck payload it rated for , single yard is like 2000lbs. so your saying around 4000 plus weight of the salter
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2012
  20. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Sounds like you are trying to talk yourself out of the 8500, theIceNSnowman, to save some money on the short end. In the long run you will be much happier with the 8500 now rather than selling the 7500 later at a loss and getting the 8500 later.

I have an 8500 and trust me you will not regret it over the 7500. If you are worried about weight don't fill it all the way. I doubt that is you worry tho as you said the dealer told you you could mound it up to 2 yds. That is wrong by the way. Unless you put some box sides on the 7500 that extra half yard will be shaken to the inside of the bed by the time you turn your 1st corner leaving you a big mess to clean up..

The controller on the 8500 is the upgraded one which you can also plug in a liquid controller to in case you move up to liquids in the future. Has the larger motor and reversible trans to unclog itself if need be.
    I have my 8500 in a 2500 HD and have no problems for 2 years now. I just drive a bit slower and am on guard more when driving with it full.