1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

    Dismiss Notice

Snow Ex 575 Mini Pro Repairs

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by germann, Feb 6, 2015.

  1. germann

    germann Junior Member
    from ky
    Messages: 8

    We have a couple Snow Ex 575 Mini-Pros and like them in general. To me, they make way more sense for bagged salt than large spreaders that require truck modification.
    Our main problem with them is repairs. No matter how clean you keep them, the auger rusts onto the transmission shaft. When you go to replace the spinner or otherwise 3-4 years down the road, the set screw is hopelessly rusted into the hole. I have never been able to even successfully drill it out, or cut the auger off the shaft.
    Has any one out there removed an auger from a shaft successfully? Does anyone replace the auger set screw with something like a stainless bolt that is removable? Would a bolt head protruding into the auger cause a problem? Is there any way to grease the thing up when new to prevent problems?
    Last year, I cut the transmission shaft off and replaced the transmission with an aftermarket one from Angelos Supply. Big mistake. The trans. lasted 2 months, and broke my motor when it broke. :cry: I ended up buying a whole lower unit for $805 and bolting it on, so the unit is as good as new. I wish Snow Ex would make the lower unit replacement (motor, trans, auger, and box) more affordable if the unit cannot be serviced. I would be ok with $500-$600. $800 seems like a ripoff...
     
  2. to_buy

    to_buy Senior Member
    Messages: 221

    Never sieze the sh&* out of the auger shat and set screww
     
  3. cwby_ram

    cwby_ram Senior Member
    Messages: 907

    I've got a 1075, I'm assuming is set up same. Had to replace a motor this year and found myself in the same spot. Could not get the auger off the shaft. Finally resigned to cutting it off after wrestling with it way too long, but I cut grooves in it vertically in an attempt to at least save the shaft (thinking maybe I could take it off in two halves). The heat from cutting it must have helped break the rust because it slid off pretty easily after that. Was going to order a replacement, but I just jammed the old cut one back on and have been using it since. Figured I'd anti-seize the crap out of it when I put the new one on.