1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snow Ex 1875

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Schultz L.C., Mar 1, 2010.

1. Schultz L.C.

Schultz L.C. Junior Member

Hi everyone, i have a question/problem with my salter. I recently got it used and i didnt pay much for it since it was from a buddy, He said that he didnt know the extent of the problems or if it even worked. I hooked up all the wires temporarly to test the salter. I get no responce on the salter but on the contols i get the numbers reading and after 15 seconds i get an "OL" message. my guess is that mean overload? if you have any experience with these please telll me your insights! Thank you in advanced!

Nick

2. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

You are correct!! Ol does mean overload, I don't have a 1875 instead it's the 1075.

3. Schultz L.C.

Schultz L.C. Junior Member

any ideas for problem shooting?

4. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

It could be loose connections, blown fuse, or siezed motor

source:http://www.snowexproducts.com/pdfs/snowex/manuals/Tailgate_Spreaders.pdf

Last edited: Mar 3, 2010
  5. IC-Smoke

IC-Smoke Senior Member

BUMP
    Im looking at a used one currently..... anyone have some input on these??

Thanks
    Ian

6. stonewellmark

stonewellmark Member

Try cleaning the conections on the large rubber encased plug, where the salter plugs to the truck. Sometime mine needs a little wiggle when it does the same exact thing, I clean it when I get home and no more problems. Just my experience, hope it helps.

7. Advantage

Advantage Senior Member

I have the same unit. I have had great luck with it.
    Does the auger move freely? Try the above recommendations and if that doesn't work you'll likely need a new motor.

8. IC-Smoke

IC-Smoke Senior Member

anything you dont like about the spreader? Im looking at one currently but it has "electrical issues" I havent found out what the issue is but it shouldnt be too bad... Im sure its a loose connection.

how does it mount to the truck? hitch or rigid bumper?

Thanks
    Ian

9. Highpoint

Highpoint Senior Member

I've used one for 6 years. After taking out of storage, the auger would not turn. Like a dummy, I ordered a new motor first, not the problem. Then a gearbox, not the problem. Turns out the bearing on the opposite end was rusted tight. Spent hundreds that should have only been $20 bucks! Put some vice grips on the shaft inside the hopper, if it moves easily, grease the bearing and try it, if not, replace the bearing first. Unless the gearbox is severely eaten away, it should be fine. Take motor off and use a large screw driver and try and turn the shaft. If it turns easily, It's probable the motor or bad connection. Also, as I was working on this side of the unit, after beating some rust off the box, the spinner gearbox just fell off! the metal had been eaten away by the salt! You gotta CLEAN! :realmad:

Also, the pivot mount is the best way to go. I've got 2 for sell.............

10. Advantage

Advantage Senior Member

I picked up mine for a screamin good deal. I don't have any issues with it at all except that it bridges easily with fine sand. I mostly run straight salt anyway though.

I have the swing away mount which bolts to the mounting brackets that you secure to the bed rails and bumper.

11. ctbman

ctbman Member

Did you ever have a salter on the truck before? A common mistake people make is grounding black wire to a chassis ground.That will give you a OL reading on the controller.The motor is islolated it has to be grounded to the battery.If your motor and gearbox are free the ground may be the problem.I hope this helps out.