1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snow Everyday In Wny?????

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by WhataWinter, Feb 12, 2003.

1. WhataWinter

WhataWinter Junior Member

Hey all, Ive been reading posts on this forum fo quite a few weeks now and thought it to be about time I came out from the weeds and joined. Ive read more useful, interesting, and at times quite entertaining, material here pertaining to snowplowing than anywhere else, for that alone Id like to thank you all. But my question is to all of you other unfortunate snowplowing contractors in the Northern Erie Southern Niagara counties that work on seasonal contracts.... Is it just me or has this winter been unusually harsh. I mean Ive been plowing snow just about every day since a little before christmas is starting to really get to me. Dont get me wrong I LOVE WHAT I DO and will never give it up but .... Ill take 7 feet all at once instead of this 2+2+2+3+2+4+2 ect... Its getting to where the weather forcasts are almost comical being the same everyday SNOW,WIND,COLD anyway theres a whole lot of other things too but for now that'll do. I guess I just had to vent... Its funny to see all the posts about people who want and need the snow, well Im praying for you all, praying that you get all the rest of our snow. Thanx
    PbC
    PS anyone else have just about NOWHERE to put the snow and customers that will NOT pay to have it removed?

2. paul soccodato

paul soccodato Senior Member

welcome to plowsite:waving:

3. fordman

fordman Senior Member

Welcome to plowsite.:waving:

We all need to vent now and then, however I don't think I've ever heard someone vent about getting too much snow.

4. Roger Dodger

Roger Dodger Senior Member
    from nw Pa.

On the plus side of the "2+2+2+3+2+4+2" for me that equals 2=$15 + 2=$15 + 2=$15 + 3=$15 + 2=$15 + 4=$15 + 2=$15 from the customer that pays "by the event" rather than a seasonal price.

5. Earthscapes

Earthscapes Senior Member
    from WNY

Whata- welcome. I don't mind this yrs.snowfall,,gets me out of the house and off the computer. But i do mind the bitter cold temps and the major blowing snow. The 7 ft. was fun last yr, but i think last nites 8" (forecasted 2-4") with the 30-40MPH winds and the 4-5' drifts that formed was more of a challange.

Did anyone happen to see the 2 state trucks on their sides on transit rd ??? i was following them out and almost went in the ditch with them, visiblity was ZERO.

One more tidbit the "cheap" guys showed their true colors this morning, we were cleaning approaches at 8am and most driveways weren't even plowed yet.
    Oh yeah no problems with room at our residentials, most of them have very large front lawns.

Roger--- As Got Grass? mentioned 100's of times on here it's almost impossible to get people around here to "pay by event" and then what happens if it doesn't snow ?? I have bills and a sub to pay. I base my seasonal contracts on 20 plowable events and this yr is getting close,,but it's almost over only 47 days left :D

6. bds landscaping

bds landscaping Junior Member

ya last night was a great job in the forcasting department i also noticed that alot of driveways werent done witch is pretty bad when theres 8 on the ground and a foot at the base of the drive what car can go through that i know my residentials would not put up with that kind of service.

7. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

I was done with everyone by 7am.
    Then went around again for drifts & to get the one lot that doesn't need to be opened up till 11am.
    Keith, what the heck were you doing all the way out there? Ya scared the poop outta me till I saw the sno-way & figured it was you lol... I hate that lot w/ all the potholes & gravel, if only they kept the dumpsters in the same spot...

This year has been pretty bad with all the "little" events. Every day it seems there is snow in the forecast & with the job they are doing predicting it. I'm almost always up at 3am peaking through the blinds.

I didn't see the guys plowing Transit, but I almost got plowed into a ditch on Staley by a plow in the wrong lane.
    In Amherst on some roads the town guys were all over the road, going on the left side simply because if they went down the right everything would just blow back in the road. I guess you would call that "drift control"...
    Thats one reason I don't go into LoachLea, etc... is because of the constant drifting & call backs I would receive from customers in there. Extremely bad planned sub divisions.

Yup no real problems with places to put the snow just not real convenient having to push it 1/2 way up the side onto the lawn.
    Much easier the the corner of the drive/road.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2003
  8. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

This was the visibility

00_00016.jpg

9. SDlawndawg

SDlawndawg Senior Member

Yeah, I'm not looking forward to telling some of my customers that they have to pay extra to have the piles removed. Never had to do it until this year.

10. nsmilligan

nsmilligan PlowSite.com Veteran

I know exactly how you feel tommorrow will be my 31st plowable event, with a nor'easter due in on the weekend! Both Canadian Groundhogs predicted an early spring, only that Penn. State one was silly enough to venture out in the sunlight. I"M READY FOR SPRING!!!:drinkup: :drinkup: :drinkup:

11. WhataWinter
    Welcome to PlowSite!

I have a few that I wish I pushed back just a little further. I am not tired of the snow, not yet.

Earthscapes,
    I know how you feel. Was just south of Holley, NY on a back road about 5:30 am, 8+ inches since 2:30 am, winds blowing and gusting snowing hard, white outs and all of a sudden I see the town 10 wheeler up a head.
    I stopped behind him because he wasn't moving, and then the winds let up for a second and I could see why he wasn't moving.
    He missed the slight curve in the road and went straight into the oposite ditch with left front tire and plow into the field. He said he couldn't see and was only moving about 7 MPH when he went in.

They say 6"-10" more along the Lake Ontario shoreline. I live 1 mile from the shore, HE, HE.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2003
  12. Earthscapes

Earthscapes Senior Member
    from WNY

GG --i was checkin our amherst accounts. I wish i had a camera when i saw your face "oh $***" what is this idiot doing.
    btw next time you take a pic,,put the camera out the window :waving:

13. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

I tried taking some outside the truck but this is all I got. No matter what way I was snow kept flying into the camera.
    BTW: I took one pix but the window was allready so bad I took that one right after the wipermade it's pass.

00_00014.jpg