1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snow Dump

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by NEUSWEDE, Mar 6, 2007.

NEUSWEDE Senior Member

I am interested as where people who have to do snow removal take their snow? Do you have land or pay to take it to a snow dump run by an excavation company? I am not talking like 40-50 yards I am looking at more of 300-500 yards per storm. I have looked into a snow melter but I think it is a large investment and won't pay off.

any input would be great.
  2. Plowfast9957

Plowfast9957 Senior Member

Most people around here dump into a big rock quarry. What about an old hay field, job site, or vacant lot. Just suggestions I came up with.

NEUSWEDE Senior Member

Thanks that is what I am looking for out of the box places. Hauling it isn't a problem it at all it is just where it goes to. I am looking into open commercial land and seeing about paying a fee or bartering for it.
  4. dodgeguy99

dodgeguy99 Senior Member
    from mn

we have several vacant lots and ponds that we dump snow into
  5. Elwer

Elwer Senior Member

Do you have kids?? Just make some nice piles in your yard and u will be set 4 a while to keep your kids entertained!!!!

Good luck findin a spot!!
  6. Oshkosh

Oshkosh PlowSite.com Addict

Conway has areas to dump the snow.

Being for the good of the economy and all the town sets up a couple of dumping areas for contractors over here across the boarder.
  7. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

Lakes, Ponds, Oceans, but Lakes would be best if it is legal.
  8. Oshkosh

They banned dumping in the.....

In Massachusetts they banned dumping directly into the ocean,BUT heres the loop hole, you can stockpile next to the ocean and let the run off drain into the ocean.....Go Figure.
  9. 4evergreenlawns

4evergreenlawns Senior Member

Where ever it goes keep in mind the melt off. You could find yourself creating a huge run off isuse and damage should you put in on property somewhere without adaquate run off.

I relocate snow ON the Clients Property with Client Approved plans attach to the contract. My thinking is it is their lot, their snow, they are responsible for it.

If it was going to be more a business venture I would look into some serious land and develope a man made pond/lake. I think the issue with reclamation and enviormental impact would be cost prohibited to make it work.

Good Luck let us know
  10. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Same here.
    I had a lot that you could push the snow onto the St.Louis Bay.
    Now the E.P.A. will fine you and make you reclaim the snow.

But the snow dump is on a old pier right next to Cutler's salt pile and both of them drain right into the bay and lake:dizzy:

NEUSWEDE Senior Member

No where to put it on site thus the reason for hauling
  12. Kramer

Kramer Senior Member

OK, I will bite....

How do you reclaim snow? :dizzy: :eek:
  13. elmo1537

elmo1537 Senior Member

duh :dizzy: buy a snowmaker stick it in the ocean a poof reclaim the snow you just deposited.
  14. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

Here it's illeal to dump even on a field. Must be on a parking lot with drains. Don't know if its enforced (I haven't heard of it being). I haven't had to truck snow, if I did I don't know where I'd put. I have a client that part of there property is vacant, with a seperate lot, could probably negotiate somthing there or at my shop. I know if I dumped illegally (on a field), I WOULD be the first case I have heard of with the laws being enforced, thats just my luck.
  15. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

LOL. The bay/lake freezes, so your snow will be sitting on top of it.
    You will have to remove it (reclaim it) if you do not want to be fined.

How you do that is up to you.
    Use a shovel, snowblower or a truck, loader and hope the ice is thick enough to get out there and get it back on shore.
  16. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Seriously, they don't let you dump into the ocean? ;) :D

Wouldn't the trucking be a tad cost prohibitive anyways? xysport
  17. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

lol, maybe you could use your amphibious Bobcat and go out onto the ice and scrape up my piles;)

Cost prohibitive? :nono: , the customer pays for trucking:D
  18. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Wonderul, another smartass. :nod: :jester:
  19. Oshkosh

LOL, Nature of the business I think.:)
    Most of the dumping on the ocean was municipal stuff.
    The town I grew up in was on the coast and the downtown was "Historic" narrow roads etc so they would have to clear the snow every storm,Blower into six wheelers.Then they would drive maybe five minutes to the town pier and dump off of that into the harbor.
    Because of the chemicals and sand/run off that is put down during the storm the EPA put a stop to that practice.
    Now the town stock piles it in the beach parking lots and lets it melt from there.
    Massport at Logan Airport has the melters but they have to run the water threw filters before they can pump it off.
    My neighbor up here has the new local Hampton Inn contract and he does snow removal every storm (Hires tri-axles).These 2x14" plus storms I didnt see him for three days.For a handful of storms he must have done ok this season.
  20. scholzee

scholzee Senior Member

Just make a snowman on your front lawn